Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Miguel Cotto
|Date||May 5, 2012|
|Location||MGM Grand Garden Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Title(s) on the line||WBA Super & WBC Diamond Light middleweight titles on the line|
|Floyd Mayweather vs. Miguel Cotto|
|Tale of the tape|
|Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||From||Caguas, Puerto Rico|
|42–0–0 (26 KO)||Pre-fight record||37–2–0 (30 KO)|
|5 ft 8 in (1.73 m)||Height||5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)|
|WBC Welterweight Champion.
The Ring Magazine #2 P4P Fighter.
|Recognition||WBA Super Welterweight Champion.|
|Result||Mayweather wins by unanimous decision|
Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Miguel Cotto, billed as Ring Kings, was a Boxing Junior Middleweight bout held on May 5, 2012, at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, United States. Mayweather won the fight by unanimous decision.
There was immediate speculation as to whom Mayweather would fight. Many felt that he should fight eight division champion, Manny Pacquiao. Indeed Mayweather called out Pacquiao via Twitter. Negotiations for the fight hit the wall, however, when there were arguments over the venue and how the money from the fight should be split.
Mayweather has had one previous fight in the 154-pound division, which was when he outpointed Oscar De La Hoya to win a belt in May 2007.
Cotto, who will be making the third defense of his title, will be in a fight without Top Rank as his promoter for the first time in his career. His contract with Bob Arum's company expired following his Dec. 3 revenge, 10th-round knockout victory against Antonio Margarito and he will be working with Golden Boy Promotions, Top Rank's archrival, on the fight with Mayweather.
Reported fight earnings
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. guaranteed $45 million vs. Miguel Angel Cotto $8 million
- Shane Mosley $750,000 vs. Saul Alvarez $2 million
The fight drew 1.5 Million pay per view buys.
Mayweather wins by UD with scores of 118-110 and 117-111 twice.
Alvarez wins by UD with scores of 119-109 twice and 118-110.
Vargas wins by UD with scores of 100-90, 98-92 and 97-93.
Quintana wins by KO (6)
- Welterweight bout: Keith Thurman vs Brandon Hoskins
Thurman wins by TKO (3)
- Featherweight bout: Braulio Santos vs Juan Sandoval
- Lightweight bout: Jeffrey Fontanez vs Benna Acaba
- Lightweight bout: Omar Figueroa vs Robbie Cannon
- Welterweight bout: Antonio Orozco vs Dillet Frederick
- Mayweather vs Cotto Confirmed For May 5th at MGM Grand – Boxing News. Boxingscene.com. Retrieved on 2012-05-06.
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. granted license to fight Miguel Cotto – ESPN. Espn.go.com (2012-02-02). Retrieved on 2012-05-06.
- Mayweather calls out Pacquiao on Twitter – Boxing – Yahoo! Sports. Sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved on 2012-05-06.
- Mayweather and Pacquiao had phone conversation | Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao. Mayweathervspacquiaofight.net. Retrieved on 2012-05-06.
- Christ, Scott. (2012-01-20) Mayweather vs. Pacquiao: Mayweather Won't Give Pacquiao a 50–50 Split. Bad Left Hook. Retrieved on 2012-05-06.
- Rafael, Dan. (2012-02-01) Floyd Mayweather to fight Miguel Cotto. ESPN. Retrieved on 2012-02-01.
- "BoxRec - Floyd Mayweather Jr". boxrec.com. Retrieved 2016-06-10.
- "Saul Alvarez vs. Shane Mosley - BoxRec". boxrec.com. Retrieved 2016-06-10.
- "Jessie Vargas vs. Steve Forbes - BoxRec". boxrec.com. Retrieved 2016-06-10.
- Floyd Mayweather vs. Miguel Cotto Official Fight Card from BoxRec
- Mayweather vs Cotto Tale of the Tape
vs. Victor Ortiz
|Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s bouts
May 5, 2012
vs. Robert Guerrero
vs. Antonio Margarito
|Miguel Cotto's bouts
May 5, 2012
vs. Austin Trout