Floyd Norris (born September 6, 1947 Los Angeles) was chief financial correspondent of The New York Times and International Herald Tribune. He wrote a regular column on the stock market for the Times, plus a blog.
He joined the Times in October 1988. He previously worked as a columnist and writer for Barron's. In December 2014 he accepted the NY Times buyout package offer. His last day was December 19, 2014.
Norris worked for Barron's beginning in December 1982, as a staff writer and later stock market editor. Norris was recognized by the New York Society of Certified Public Accountants for "outstanding reporting on accounting issues" in 1984. Also, he was recognized by the Financial Writers Association of New York for "outstanding lifetime achievement" in 1998.
Norris got his start in journalism as a reporter for the College Press Service in 1969. From 1970 to 1972, he was a reporter and editor for The Manchester (N.H.) American. From 1972 to 1974, he was a political reporter for The Concord (N.H.) Monitor. From 1974 to 1977, he worked for UPI, then from 1977 to 1978, he was press secretary for Senator John Durkin. From 1978 to 1981, he was an editor and business writer for the AP.
He lives in Brooklyn with his wife, Christine Bockelmann.
- 2003 Loeb Foundation's Lifetime Achievement Award
- 2001 Gerald Loeb Award, for Commentary
- 1998 Elliott V. Bell Award, by the New York Financial Writers Association
- Floyd Norris, Christine Bockelmann (eds), The New York Times Century of Business, McGraw-Hill, 2000, ISBN 978-0-07-135589-6
- Lieberman, Trudy, "The New York Times on making do in retirement", Columbia Journalism Review, December 10, 2014. Retrieved 2015-06-09.
- Bio, nytimes.com. Retrieved 2015-06-09.
- Floyd Norris - Bio & index (4,791 articles), nytimes.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on August 7, 2010. Retrieved May 28, 2010.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link) pace.edu
- "2003 Loeb Awards". UCLA Anderson School of Management. July 1, 2003. Archived from the original on April 12, 2019. Retrieved February 1, 2019.
- "Financial Journalists Chosen For 2001 Gerald Loeb Honors". The New York Times. June 1, 2001. Retrieved February 4, 2019.
- " Bell Award Winners" (1976-2014), nyfwa.org.
- Norris' blog at The New York Times
- Floyd Norris' NewsBios Homepage
- Appearances on C-SPAN
- Floyd Norris on Charlie Rose
- Works by or about Floyd Norris in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
- "Floyd Norris collected news and commentary". The New York Times.