Stewart at Maryland in 1948
|Born||August 5, 1906|
|Died||November 17, 1956
Greenville, South Carolina
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|1935–1938||Appalachian State (assistant)|
|Administrative career (AD unless noted)|
|Head coaching record|
|Accomplishments and honors|
1 North State (1939)
1 North State (1940)
2x North State Coach of the Year (1940, 1947)
Alfred Lloyd "Flucie" Stewart (August 5, 1906 – November 17, 1956) was an American basketball and football coach. He served as the head football and basketball coach for the Appalachian State Mountaineers located in the town of Boone in Watauga County, North Carolina. Stewart also was head basketball coach at Furman University for two years.
Stewart became Maryland head basketball coach in 1947, after the longstanding tenure of Burton Shipley. He was also a member of Jim Tatum's football staff as an assistant coach. Stewart's basketball teams were not successful, however, and after three losing seasons, was replaced by Bud Millikan. He also worked as an associate professor of physical education.
Head coaching record
|Appalachian State Mountaineers (North State Conference) (1939)|
|Tampa Spartans () (1941)|
|Appalachian State Mountaineers (North State Conference) (1946)|
|National championship Conference title Conference division title|
|Furman Paladins (Southern Conference) (1933–1935)|
|Appalachian State Mountaineers (North State Conference) (1935–1940)|
|Delaware Fightin' Blue Hens (Mason-Dixon Conference) (1940–1941)|
|Appalachian State Mountaineers (North State Conference) (1946–1947)|
|Maryland Terrapins (Southern Conference) (1947–1950)|
National champion Postseason invitational champion
- Mike Flynn, ed. (2009). "History and Traditions: All-Time Coaching Records". Appalachian Football 2009 Media Guide (PDF). Appalachian Sports Information. p. 184.
- Ballweg, Mike (2007). 2007-08 Southern Conference Men's Basketball Media Guide: Furman (PDF). Southern Conference. pp. 55–56.
- 2011 Football Record Book, p. 90, Furman University, 2011.
- The Blue Book of College Athletics, p. 183, F. Turbyville, 1940.
- The Story of the University of Tampa: A Quarter Century of Progress from 1930 to 1955, p. 40, University of Tampa Press, 1955.
- Terrapin, p. 236, University of Maryland, 1948.
- David Ungrady, Tales from the Maryland Terrapins, p. 51, Sports Publishing LLC, 2003, ISBN 1-58261-688-4.
- General Catalog, Issue 1948–1949; Vol. 1, No. 4, p. 20, University of Maryland, May 1, 1948.
- ALFRED L. STEWART, The New York Times, Nov 18, 1956.