A fluffer is a person employed to keep a porn performer's penis erect on the set. After setting up the desired angle, the director asks the actors to hold position and calls for the fluffer to "fluff" the actors for the shot. These duties are considered part of the makeup department. While fluffing does not necessarily involve touching the actors, it could entail sexual acts such as fellatio or non-penetrative sex.
According to some pornographic actors, including Aurora Snow, James Deen and Keiran Lee, fluffers are no longer needed, saying that the role might have existed in the past, but disappeared due to medical advancements, such as Viagra and implants, and with advancements in prosthetics. Hunter Skott, who has worked as a fluffer, contended in an interview that they "are only used for a gangbang or bukkake, not for regular [porn] movies". Sloane Steel, formerly of Bangbros.com, said much the same.
Predating the pornographic usage, which came into use in the 1970s, fluffer has been used by the real estate industry to refer to a person that stages homes and as a term for a maid who fluffs pillows, or in general cleans and prepares work equipment.
In popular culture
In episode 3 of season 2 of New Girl entitled "Fluffer", Nick Miller tells the protagonist Jessica Day that he will not be her "emotional fluffer", after he realises that he is providing her sentimental stimulation which allows her to maintain a more active sex life with a different man with whom she has been having sex.
The oneiric slasher Knife+Heart follows a group of "low grade" gay pornographers in 1970s France. The film depicts a character named Mouth of Gold, or Mouth, who is a fluffer. In the film, he is a middle-aged man who works for free as he lives with his mother.
- "Definition of 'fluffer'". Collins English Dictionary. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- Stoddard, Grant (2 September 2002). "A Life's Work: This Job Sucks". Nerve. Archived from the original on 20 February 2012.
- Aurora Snow (2013-03-18). "Blood, Sweat and Sex: My Hard Life in Porn". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- Suzan Ryan (2013-03-25). "Interview: James Deen". Australian Penthouse. Archived from the original on October 25, 2013. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- Jonathan Stewart (2014-04-30). "10 Things A Male Pornstar Will Never Tell You". Playboy. Archived from the original on 2014-10-06. Retrieved 2014-10-06.
- "22 Industry Insiders And Pornstars Tell The Behind-The-Scenes Secrets Porn Viewers Don't Want To Know (NSFL)". July 28, 2015.
- Jeremy Glass (2014-11-11). "The Naked Truth About How Porn Shoots Operate". Thrillist. Retrieved 2016-08-01.
- Jeremy, R. (2009). Ron Jeremy: The Life and Times of a Porn Star. HarperCollins. ISBN 9780061841774.
- McFedries, P. (2008). The Complete Idiot's Guide to Weird Word Origins. Alpha Books. ISBN 9781592577811.
- Fadiman, A. (2008). At Large and At Small: Familiar Essays. Farrar, Straus and Giroux. ISBN 9781429922968.
- "A CITY SLEEPS aka TUBE "FLUFFERS" - British Pathé". britishpathe.com. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- Good, Owen. "Lots of Bad Career Choices in Fallout". Kotaku. Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- Scott, A.O (16 November 2001). "Film Review; O.K., Just Tell Your Folks It's Artistic Work, in Films". The New York Times. Retrieved 10 May 2008.
- Adams, Erik. "Fluffer". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- Gonzalez, Yann. "Knife+Heart". Altered Innocence. Altered Innocence.