A fluffer is a person employed to keep a male adult film star aroused on the set. These duties, which do not necessarily involve touching the actors, are considered part of the makeup department. After setting up the desired angle, the director asks the actors to hold position and calls for the fluffer to "fluff" the actors for the shot. Fluffing could also entail sexual acts such as fellatio or non-penetrative sex.
In popular culture
In the 1998 videogame Fallout 2 it is possible for the player to become a fluffer for a post-apocalyptic studio engaged in the porn industry.
The 2001 film The Fluffer was about a film buff with a crush on a porn star who is straight, for whom he would end up working as a fluffer in gay porn. A four-minute short comedy film also titled The Fluffer was released in 2003.
In an episode of New Girl entitled "Fluffer", a male character is described as an "emotional fluffer" for the female lead, providing her sentimental stimulation which allows her to maintain a more active sex life with a different man with whom she has been having sex.
The term fluffer has also been adopted by the real estate industry to refer to a person that stages homes, and as a term for a maid who fluffs pillows, or in general cleans and prepares work equipment. These two usages of the term predate the pornographic usage, which came into usage in the 1970s.
- "Definition of 'fluffer'". Collins English Dictionary. Retrieved May 8, 2015.
- Stoddard, Grant (2 September 2002). "A Life's Work: This Job Sucks". Nerve.
- Aurora Snow (2013-03-18). "Blood, Sweat and Sex: My Hard Life in Porn". The Daily Beast. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- Suzan Ryan (2013-03-25). "Interview: James Deen". Australian Penthouse. Retrieved 2014-03-04.
- Jonathan Stewart (2014-04-30). "10 Things A Male Pornstar Will Never Tell You". Playboy. Retrieved 2014-10-06.
- Scott, A.O (16 November 2001). "Film Review; O.K., Just Tell Your Folks It's Artistic Work, in Films". The New York Times. Retrieved 10 May 2008.
- Adams, Erik. "Fluffer". Onion AV Club. Retrieved 21 March 2013.
- Fadiman, A. (2008). At Large and At Small: Familiar Essays. Farrar, Straus and Giroux. ISBN 9781429922968.
- "A CITY SLEEPS aka TUBE "FLUFFERS" - British Pathé". britishpathe.com. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- Jeremy, R. (2009). Ron Jeremy: The Life and Times of a Porn Star. HarperCollins. ISBN 9780061841774.
- McFedries, P. (2008). The Complete Idiot's Guide to Weird Word Origins. Alpha Books. ISBN 9781592577811.