Fly casting is a competitive variation of fly fishing found in sport fishing and fishing tournaments. This type of sports fishing originated in the Fourteenth Century. The modern version of the sport is supervised by the International Casting Sport Federation (ICSF), which was founded in 1955 and as of April 2014 has member associations in 31 countries.
The ICSF sponsors tournaments and recognizes world records for accuracy and distance. This sport uses plastic weights or hookless flies, and can be held on water or on athletic fields. There are competitive divisions for almost all types of fly, fixed spool, and revolving spool tackle, and for various classes of competitors. It is included in the World Games (see photo), and has been considered for the Olympics.
The American Casting Association held its 100th Annual Casting Championships in 2008 at the Golden Gate Angling & Casting Club. There are several disciplines in fly casting such as trout accuracy, trout distance, sea trout distance, salmon distance, spey distance etc. A research tool called Fly Casting Analyzer may be used in fly casting.
|This fishing-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
- Robinson, Gilmer G. (1942). Fly Casting. New York: A. S. Barnes & Co.
- Smedley, Harold H. "Dike" (1949). Accuracy Fly Casting. Chicago-New York: Ziff-Davis Publishing., illustrated fly casting guide by Winner of National, Great Lakes, Midwest, Michigan, and New York Fly Casting Championships.
- Wulff, Joan (1987). Joan Wulff's Fly-Casting Techniques. New York: Nick Lyons Books. ISBN 0-941130-38-X.
- Krieger, Mel; Nelson Ishiyama; Albert Jules McClane; Ben Blackwell (1988). The Essence of Fly Casting. Club Pacific. ISBN 978-0-944169-02-5.
- Jaworowski, Ed (1999). Troubleshooting the Cast. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books. ISBN 978-0-8117-2942-0.
- Jaworowski, Ed (2006). The Cast: Theories and Applications for More Effective Techniques. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books. ISBN 978-0-8117-3257-4.
- Kreh, Lefty (2007). Lefty Kreh's Longer Fly Casting, New and Revised: The Compact, Practical Handbook That Will Add Ten Feet--Or More--To Your Cast. New York: Lyons Press. ISBN 978-1-59921-087-2.
- Kreh, Lefty (2008). Casting With Lefty Kreh. Mechanicsburg, PA: Stackpole Books. ISBN 978-0-8117-0369-7.
- Kyte, Al (2008). The Orvis Guide to Better Fly Casting: A Problem-Solving Approach. New York: Lyons Press. ISBN 978-1-59228-870-0.