|Editor-in-chief||Julie Boatman Filucci|
|Publisher||David Carr (as of 2020)|
|Company||Flying Media Group|
|Based in||Winter Park, Florida|
Flying, sometimes styled FLYING, is an aviation magazine published since 1927 and called Popular Aviation prior to 1942, as well as Aeronautics for a brief period. It is read by pilots, aircraft owners, aviation enthusiasts and aviation-oriented executives in business, commercial and general aviation markets worldwide.
It has the largest paid subscription, newsstand, and international circulation of any U.S.-based aviation magazine, according to its former publisher the Bonnier Corporation, and is promoted as "the world's most widely read aviation magazine". It is owned by digital media entrepreneur Craig Fuller.
The magazine first began publishing in 1927 as Popular Aviation soon after Charles Lindbergh's historic transatlantic flight. It was given the name Aeronautics briefly from 1929–1930 and was changed back to Popular Aviation until 1942, when it became Flying.
In June 2009, Flying's owner, Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S., sold the publication to the Bonnier Corporation, the U.S. division of the Sweden-based Bonnier Group, along with four other magazines: Popular Photography, Boating, Sound and Vision, and American Photo.
In July 2021, digital media entrepreneur and pilot Craig Fuller acquired Flying from the Bonnier Corporation and named the new parent company "Flying Media Group", with plans to expand its digital media platform, including online and mobile applications with a bigger focus on aviation photography, podcasts and streaming media. The print magazine went quarterly at the start of 2022, starting with Volume 149, issue 1, styled as "Q1 2022".
- Male/female: 94%/6%
- Average age: 49.5
- Average HHI: $185,900
- Average net worth: $2,251,000
- Richard Bach
- Gordon Baxter
- Richard L. Collins
- Peter Garrison
- Len Morgan
- Ernest K. Gann
- William Langewiesche
- Gill Robb Wilson
- Paul Bowen
- "Contact Us". Flying. Retrieved February 21, 2020.
- "eCirc for Consumer Magazines". Alliance for Audited Media. December 31, 2012. Archived from the original on April 18, 2014. Retrieved June 21, 2013.
- "Flying Sold to Digital Media Entrepreneur with Plans to Expand the Iconic Brand". Retrieved December 14, 2021.
- "Flying Media Kit" (PDF). Retrieved January 6, 2010.
- "Again, Mitchell". Time. June 10, 1929. Archived from the original on May 21, 2013. Retrieved August 26, 2007. "Monthly magazine until this month called Popular Aviation and Aeronautics. With 100,000 circulation it is largest-selling of U. S. air publications." "Editor of Aeronautics is equally airwise Harley W. Mitchell, no relative of General Mitchell."
- "Bonnier Corp. Acquires Five Magazine Brands from Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S." Archived from the original on March 29, 2010. Retrieved January 6, 2010.
- "Paul Bowen Aviation Photography". Flying. Retrieved December 16, 2021.