|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Flying Scooters, also known simply as Flyers, is an amusement ride consisting of a center post with ride vehicles suspended from arms attached to the center post. The ride dates back to the 1930s and 1940s when Bisch-Rocco manufactured the ride. In the early 2000s, Larson International revived the concept and is the sole manufacturer of these rides.
When the ride is in operation, a motor causes the arms to spin, with centrifugal forces causing the ride vehicles to fly outwards. Each ride vehicle is equipped with a large rudder, allowing riders to control the motion of their vehicle. The minimum rider height requirement is usually 36 inches tall or more.
Although Flying Scooters are generally considered a mild ride, a skilled rider can "snap" the cables suspending the vehicle. Snapping is caused by the cables slacking due to quick motions of the vehicle. Snapping is made easier on a faster Flying Scooters ride; however, some newer models are designed to prevent snapping. Snapping is sometimes discouraged due to maintenance and safety reasons.
|Aerial Joy Ride||Hersheypark||Spillman Manufacturing||1941||Closed 1961; designed by Norman Bartlett.|
|Air Crow||Indiana Beach||Unknown||2004||Operating|
|American Flyers||Lake Compounce||Bisch-Rocco||2003||Operating. Previously operated at many amusement parks including Kennywood.|
|Cedar Creek Flyers||Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom||Larson International||2015|
|Dragons Fly||Castle Park||Larson International||2008||Operating|||
|Eagle's Flight||Holiday World||Bisch-Rocco||1976||Operating|||
|Flyer||Knoebels||Bisch-Rocco||N/A||Operating. Purchased from Kennywood Park|||
|Flying Aces||Idlewild Park||Larson International||2007||Operating|
|Flying Aces||Lagoon Amusement Park||Bisch-Rocco||1941||Operating|
|Flying Eagles||California's Great America||Larson International||2002||Operating|
|Flying Eagles||Kings Dominion||Bisch-Rocco||1975||Operating|
|The Flying Eagles||Kings Island||Bisch-Rocco||1972||Closed in 2004. Relocated from Cincinnati's Coney Island. Later relocated to Carowinds.|||
|Flying Eagles||Canada's Wonderland||Larson International||2016||Operating|
|Flying Fish||Story Land||Larson International||N/A||Operating|||
|Flying Scooter||Bushkill Park||Bisch-Rocco||1950s||Closed|||
|Flying Scooter||Conneaut Lake Park||Bisch-Rocco||1997||Operating. Relocated from Euclid Beach Park.|||
|Flying Scooter||Bland's Park||Bisch-Rocco||N/A||Closed in 2001|||
|Flying Scooter||Americana Amusement Park||Bisch-Rocco||N/A||Closed in 2002.|
|Flying Scooters||Camden Park||N/A||2006||Operating|
|Flying Scooters||Erieview Park||Bisch-Rocco||N/A||Operating|||
|Flying Scooters||Fantasy Farm||Bisch-Rocco||N/A||Closed in 1986. Relocated to Fun Spot.|||
|Flying Scooters||Fun Spot Amusement Park & Zoo||Bisch-Rocco||N/A||Closed. Relocated from Fantasy Farm. Later relocated to Eldridge Park.|||
|Flying Scooters||Geauga Lake||Bisch-Rocco||1958||Closed in 1999.|
|Flying Scooters||Playland Park, Justice, IL||Bisch-Rocco||1950s||Closed in 1979.|||
|Flying Scooters||Stricker's Grove||N/A||N/A||Operating|
|Flying Scooters||Whalom Park||Bisch-Rocco||N/A||Closed in 2000|||
|French Quarter Flyers||Six Flags America||Larson International||2014||Operating|
|Frontier Flyers||Hersheypark||Larson International||2003||Operating|||
|Hornet's Nest||Darien Lake||Larson International||2012||Operating|||
|Kong||Morey's Piers||Larson International||2015||Operating|
|Lake Erie Eagles||Cedar Point||Larson International||2014||Operating|
|Lakeside Gliders||Michigan's Adventure||Larson International||2013||Operating|
|Phoenix||La Ronde||Larson International||2016||Under Construction|||
|Professor John's Flying Machines||Kentucky Kingdom||Larson International||2014||Operating|
|Rowdy Roosters||Canobie Lake Park||Bisch-Rocco||N/A||Relocated from Palisades Amusement Park.|||
|S.S. Stingray||Jungle Jack's Landing||N/A||N/A||Operating|
|Screamin' Eagles||Great Escape||Larson International||2013||Operating|||
|Seabreeze Flyers||Seabreeze Amusement Park||N/A||N/A||Operating|
|Spirit of Kitty Hawk||Frontier Village||Bisch-Rocco||N/A||Closed in 1980.|
|Surfside Gliders||Knott's Berry Farm||Larson International||2013||Operating|||
|Thunderbirds||Eldridge Park||Bisch-Rocco||2012||Operating. Relocated from Fun Spot Amusement Park & Zoo.|
|Tink's Flying School||Oakwood Theme Park||N/A||2004||Operating|
|Woodstock Gliders||Carowinds||Bisch-Rocco||2005||Operating. Relocated from Kings Island.|
|Woodstock Gliders||Kings Island||Larson International||2015||Operating||\|
|Woodstock Gliders||Worlds of Fun||Larson International||2016||Operating|
|Wonder Woman Flight School||Six Flags Over Georgia||Larson International||2016||Operating|||
|ZZZFlying eagles||Coney Island (Cincinnati)||Bisch-Rocco||1935||Closed prior to 1972. Relocated to Kings Island.|
|ZZZUnknown||Euclid Beach Park||Bisch-Rocco||N/A||Closed in 1996. Relocated from Old Indiana Fun Park. Relocated to Conneaut Lake Park.|
|Phantom Phlyer||Kennywood||Bisch-Rocco||1937||Closed. Relocated to many amusement parks, ultimately ending up at Lake Compounce.|
|ZZZUnknown||Old Indiana Fun Park||Bisch-Rocco||N/A||Closed. Relocated to Euclid Beach Park.|||
|ZZZUnknown||Palisades Amusement Park||Bisch-Rocco||N/A||Closed. Relocated to Canobie Lake Park.|||
|ZZZUnknown||West View Park||Bisch-Rocco||1946||Closed by 1977.|
- "Dragons Fly at Castle Park: Larson Scooters now open". Park World Magazine. 30 May 2008. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- Kyriazi, Gary (1 November 2006). "Holiday World: Redefining family entertainment". Park World Magazine. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- Futrell, Jim (17 May 1999). "Not all the good rides are new". Amusement Business 111 (20): 21.
- Ruben, Paul (7 May 2009). "Story Land". Park World Magazine. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- Futrell, Jim (2002). Amusement Parks of Pennsylvania. Stackpole Books. ISBN 0811726711.
- Futrell, Jim (10 September 2001). "Name change helps Bland's keep up with special sauce". Amusement Business 113 (36): 53.
- O'Brien, Tim (25 November 2002). "Attendance increase highlights 57th season". Amusement Business 114 (47): 9.
- Futrell, James. "Ohio's Fantasy Farm Auctioned After Twenty-Eight Years". National Amusement Park Historical Association. The Fantasy Farm Memorial Website. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Playland Park (Justice, Illinois, USA)". rcdb.com. Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- O'Brien, Tim (12 November 2001). "Whalom Park assets to go on block". Amusement Business 113 (45): 39.
- Barbieri, Kelly (3 February 2003). "Hersheypark prepares for new rides, food". Amusement Business 115 (5).
- "Kernels – May 2012". Park World Magazine. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- MacDonald, Brady (September 3, 2015). "Six Flags unveils new attractions for every park in 2016". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 3, 2015.
- Kyriazi, Gary (24 April 2008). "Canobie Lake: Waterside Survivor". Park World Magazine. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Screamin' Eagles at the Great Escape". Park World: 12. August 2013.
- "New at Knott's". Park World Magazine. 12 December 2012. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
|This article about an amusement ride or roller coaster is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|