This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Flying Scooters, also known simply as Flyers, is an amusement ride consisting of a center post with ride vehicles suspended from arms attached to the center post. The ride dates back to the 1930s and 1940s when Bisch-Rocco manufactured the ride. In the early 2000s, Larson International revived the concept and is the sole manufacturer of these rides.
When the ride is in operation, a motor causes the arms to spin, with centrifugal forces causing the ride vehicles to fly outwards. Each ride vehicle is equipped with a large rudder, allowing riders to control the motion of their vehicle. The minimum rider height requirement is usually 36 inches tall or more.
Although Flying Scooters are generally considered a mild ride, a skilled rider can "snap" the cables suspending the vehicle, and thus gain a more extreme and out-of-control experience. Snapping is caused by the cables slacking due to quick motions of the vehicle. Snapping is made easier on older and faster Flying Scooters rides such as the Flyer at Knoebels or others manufactured by Bisch-Rocco. Some newer models, such as those manufactured by Larson, are designed to prevent snapping. Snapping is sometimes discouraged due to maintenance and safety reasons, and in the case of some parks, snapping is punishable by the ride cycle being stopped early and the offending rider being removed from the ride.
|Flyer||Knoebels Amusement Resort||United States||Bisch-Rocco||Unknown||Operating|||
|Flying Fish||Story Land||United States||Larson International||Unknown||Operating|||
|Flying Scooter||Bland's Park||United States||Bisch-Rocco||Unknown||Removed|||
|Flying Scooter||Americana Amusement Park||United States||Bisch-Rocco||Unknown||Removed|
|Flying Scooters||Erieview Park||United States||Bisch-Rocco||Unknown||Operating|||
|Flying Scooters||Stricker's Grove||United States||Unknown||Unknown||Operating|
|Flying Scooters||Whalom Park||United States||Bisch-Rocco||Unknown||Removed|||
|Rowdy Roosters||Canobie Lake Park
Palisades Amusement Park
|S.S. Stingray||Jungle Jack's Landing||United States||Unknown||Unknown||Operating|
|Seabreeze Flyers||Seabreeze Amusement Park||United States||Unknown||Unknown||Operating|
|Spirit of Kitty Hawk||Frontier Village||United States||Bisch-Rocco||Unknown||Removed|
|Phantom Phlyer||Kennywood||United States||Bisch-Rocco||1937||Removed|
|Aerial Joy Ride||Hersheypark||United States||Spillman Manufacturing||1941||Removed|
|Flying Aces||Lagoon Amusement Park||United States||Bisch-Rocco||1941||Operating|
|Unknown||West View Park||United States||Bisch-Rocco||1946||Removed|
|Flying Scooter||Bushkill Park||United States||Bisch-Rocco||1950||Removed|||
|Flying Scooters||Playland Park, Justice, IL||United States||Bisch-Rocco||1950||Removed|||
|Flying Scooters||Geauga Lake||United States||Bisch-Rocco||1958||Removed|
|Flying Eagles||Kings Dominion||United States||Bisch-Rocco||1975||Operating|
|Eagle's Flight||Holiday World||United States||Bisch-Rocco||1976||Operating|||
|Flying Scooter||Conneaut Lake Park
Euclid Beach Park
Old Indiana Fun Park
|Flying Eagles||California's Great America||United States||Larson International||2002||Operating|
|American Flyers||Lake Compounce||United States||Bisch-Rocco||2003||Operating|
|Frontier Flyers||Hersheypark||United States||Larson International||2003||Operating|||
|Air Crow||Indiana Beach||United States||Unknown||2004||Operating|
|Tink's Flying School||Oakwood Theme Park||United States||Unknown||2004||Operating|
Formerly Woodstock Gliders
Formerly Flying Eagles
1972 to 2004
1935 to 1971
|Air Crow||Indiana Beach||United States||Larson International||2005||Operating|
|Flying Scooters||Camden Park||United States||Unknown||2006||Operating|
|Flying Aces||Idlewild Park||United States||Larson International||2007||Operating|
|Dragons Fly||Castle Park||United States||Larson International||2008||Operating|||
|Hornet's Nest||Darien Lake||United States||Larson International||2012||Operating|||
Formerly Flying Scooters
Fun Spot Amusement Park & Zoo
|Lakeside Gliders||Michigan's Adventure||United States||Larson International||2013||Operating|
|Screamin' Eagles||Great Escape||United States||Larson International||2013||Operating|||
|Surfside Gliders||Knott's Berry Farm||United States||Larson International||2013||Operating|||
|French Quarter Flyers||Six Flags America||United States||Larson International||2014||Operating|
|Lake Erie Eagles||Cedar Point||United States||Larson International||2014||Operating|
|Professor John's Flying Machines||Kentucky Kingdom||United States||Larson International||2014||Operating|
|Winged Warrior||Frontier City||United States||Larson International||2014||Operating|
|Cedar Creek Flyers||Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom||United States||Larson International||2015||Operating|
|Kong||Morey's Piers||United States||Larson International||2015||Operating|
|Woodstock Gliders||Kings Island||United States||Larson International||2015||Operating|
|Flying Eagles||Canada's Wonderland||Canada||Larson International||2016||Operating|
|Flying Eagles||Valleyfair||United States||Larson International||2016||Operating|
|Phoenix||La Ronde||Canada||Larson International||2016||Operating|||
|Woodstock Gliders||Worlds of Fun||United States||Larson International||2016||Operating|
|Wonder Woman Flight School||Six Flags Over Georgia||United States||Larson International||2016||Operating|||
|Flying Scooter||Fox Creek Amusement Company||United States||Bisch-Rocco||2016||Operating|
|The Mad Mocking Bird||Dollywood||United States||Larson International||2019||Under construction|
- Futrell, Jim (17 May 1999). "Not all the good rides are new". Amusement Business. 111 (20): 21.
- Ruben, Paul (7 May 2009). "Story Land". Park World Magazine. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- Futrell, Jim (2002). Amusement Parks of Pennsylvania. Stackpole Books. ISBN 0811726711.
- Futrell, Jim (10 September 2001). "Name change helps Bland's keep up with special sauce". Amusement Business. 113 (36): 53.
- O'Brien, Tim (25 November 2002). "Attendance increase highlights 57th season". Amusement Business. 114 (47): 9.
- O'Brien, Tim (12 November 2001). "Whalom Park assets to go on block". Amusement Business. 113 (45): 39.
- "Playland Park (Justice, Illinois, USA)". rcdb.com. Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- Kyriazi, Gary (1 November 2006). "Holiday World: Redefining family entertainment". Park World Magazine. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- Barbieri, Kelly (3 February 2003). "Hersheypark prepares for new rides, food". Amusement Business. 115 (5).
- "Dragons Fly at Castle Park: Larson Scooters now open". Park World Magazine. 30 May 2008. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Kernels – May 2012". Park World Magazine. 9 May 2012. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- "Screamin' Eagles at the Great Escape". Park World: 12. August 2013.
- "New at Knott's". Park World Magazine. 12 December 2012. Archived from the original on 29 October 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2013.
- MacDonald, Brady (September 3, 2015). "Six Flags unveils new attractions for every park in 2016". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 3, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Flying Scooters.|