The flyweight division in mixed martial arts – as defined by the Nevada State Athletic Commission combat sports doctrine and by the Association of Boxing Commissions – groups together all competitors 125 lb (57 kg) and below.
The flyweight division in mixed martial arts refers to a number of different weight classes:
- The UFC's flyweight division, which groups competitors within 116 to 125 lb (53 to 57 kg)
- The Pancrase light flyweight division with an upper limit of 120 lb
- The Shooto flyweight division with an upper limit of 115 lb
- The ONE Championship's flyweight division, with upper limit at 61 kg (134.5 lb)
- The Road FC's flyweight division, with upper limit at 125 lb (57 kg)
On February 3, 2009, World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) announced they would be adding a flyweight division set at 125 lb, however the division was never instituted. When the UFC and WEC merged, UFC president Dana White indicated that the Ultimate Fighting Championship would likely add a flyweight division in the future. The UFC flyweight division was officially announced in 2011; with the inaugural champion being decided by way of a four-man tournament that began with the semifinal round held at the UFC on FX 2 event in Sydney Australia on March 2, 2012. Joseph Benavidez won his semi-final at UFC on FX 2 while Demetrious Johnson and Ian McCall fought to a draw. Johnson and McCall rematched at UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall on June 8, 2012 with Johnson advancing. Johnson won the first UFC flyweight championship with his win over Benavidez at UFC 152.
These tables are not always up to date. Last updated on May 5, 2018.
|UFC||August 4, 2018||Henry Cejudo||13-2 (5KO)||0|
|ONE Championship||June 23, 2018||Geje Eustaquio||11-6 (2KO 2SUB)||0|
|Cage Warriors||March 24, 2018||Nathan Greyson||6-2 (6KO)||0|
|ACB||October 22, 2016||Askar Askarov||10-0 (3KO 7SUB)||2|
|British Association of Mixed Martial Arts||November 10,2017||Daniel Barez||9-4 (3KO 4SUB)||1|
|Fight Nights Global||August 31, 2018||Zhalgas Zhumagulov||12-3-0 (7TKO 2SUB)||0|
|Legacy Fighting Alliance||April 20, 2018||Maikel Pérez||6-1 (1KO 3SUB)||0|
|Road FC||October 9, 2015||Min Jong Song||9-7 (1KO 2SUB)||0|
|Bellator MMA||November 3, 2017||Ilima-Lei Macfarlane||8-0 (1KO 5SUB)||1|
|KSW||May 27, 2017||Ariane Lipski||11-3 (6KO 2SUB)||2|
|Legacy Fighting Alliance||May 27, 2017||Sabina Mazo||5-0 (2KO)||0|
- List of current MMA Flyweight Champions
- List of Road FC Flyweight Champions
- List of current MMA Women's Flyweight Champions
- "Nevada Revised Statutes: Chapter 467 - Unarmed Combat". leg.state.nv.us. Retrieved 2007-02-20.
- "Unified Rules of MMA". ABCBoxing.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-05. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- Nelson, Chris (2010-07-19). "'The Way of Shooto 4' Quick Results". BloodyElbow.com. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "WEC's long-awaited 125-pound weight class likely to come in early 2010". 2009-08-07.
- "Dana White announces merger between UFC and WEC". Las Vegas Sun. 2010-10-28.
- "UFC adds flyweights: Johnson vs. McCall, Benavidez vs. Urushitani at UFC on FX 2". MMAJunkie.com. 2011-12-11. Archived from the original on 2012-01-07.
- MMAjunkie UFC Champ Demetrious Johnson critical of striking. retrieved 25 September 2012