The flyweight division in mixed martial arts – as defined by the Nevada State Athletic Commission combat sports doctrine and by the Association of Boxing Commissions – groups together all competitors 125 lb (57 kg) and below. It sits between Strawweight (106 lbs-115 lbs) and Bantamweight (126 lbs-135lbs).
The flyweight division in mixed martial arts refers to a number of different weight classes:
- The UFC's flyweight division, which groups competitors within 116 to 125 lb (53 to 57 kg)
- The Pancrase light flyweight division with an upper limit of 120 lb
- The Shooto flyweight division with an upper limit of 115 lb
- The ONE Championship's flyweight division, with upper limit at 61 kg (134.5 lb)
- The Road FC's flyweight division, with upper limit at 125 lb (57 kg)
On February 3, 2009, World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) announced they would be adding a flyweight division set at 125 lb, however the division was never instituted. When the UFC and WEC merged, UFC president Dana White indicated that the Ultimate Fighting Championship would likely add a flyweight division in the future. The UFC flyweight division was officially announced in 2011; with the inaugural champion being decided by way of a four-man tournament that began with the semifinal round held at the UFC on FX 2 event in Sydney Australia on March 2, 2012. Joseph Benavidez won his semi-final at UFC on FX 2 while Demetrious Johnson and Ian McCall fought to a draw. Johnson and McCall rematched at UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall on June 8, 2012 with Johnson advancing. Johnson won the first UFC flyweight championship with his win over Benavidez at UFC 152.
These tables were last updated in April 2019.
|UFC||August 4, 2018||Henry Cejudo||14-2 (6KO)||1|
|ONE Championship||January 25, 2019||Adriano Moraes||18-3 (3KO 9SUB)||0|
|Fight Nights Global||April 6, 2019||Ali Bagautinov||18-6 (5KO 5SUB)||0|
|Legacy Fighting Alliance||June 7, 2019||Brandon Moreno||15-5 (2KO 10SUB)||0|
|UFC||December 8, 2018||Valentina Shevchenko||16-3 (4KO 7SUB)||1|
|Bellator MMA||November 3, 2017||Ilima-Lei Macfarlane||10-0 (2KO 6SUB)||3|
|Invicta FC||February 15, 2019||Vanessa Porto||21-8 (4KO 11SUB)||0|
|Legacy Fighting Alliance||Vacant|
- List of current MMA Flyweight Champions
- List of Road FC Flyweight Champions
- List of current MMA Women's Flyweight Champions
- "Nevada Revised Statutes: Chapter 467 - Unarmed Combat". leg.state.nv.us. Retrieved 2007-02-20.
- "Unified Rules of MMA". ABCBoxing.com. Archived from the original on 2012-07-05. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- Nelson, Chris (2010-07-19). "'The Way of Shooto 4' Quick Results". BloodyElbow.com. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "WEC's long-awaited 125-pound weight class likely to come in early 2010". 2009-08-07.
- "Dana White announces merger between UFC and WEC". Las Vegas Sun. 2010-10-28.
- "UFC adds flyweights: Johnson vs. McCall, Benavidez vs. Urushitani at UFC on FX 2". MMAJunkie.com. 2011-12-11. Archived from the original on 2012-01-07.
- MMAjunkie UFC Champ Demetrious Johnson critical of striking. retrieved 25 September 2012