The flyweight division in mixed martial arts – as defined the Nevada State Athletic Commission combat sports doctrine and by the Association of Boxing Commissions – groups together all competitors 125 lb (57 kg) and below.
The flyweight division in mixed martial arts refers to a number of different weight classes:
- The UFC's flyweight division with an upper limit of 125 lb
- The Pancrase light flyweight division with an upper limit of 120 lb
- The Shooto flyweight division with an upper limit of 115 lb
- The ONE Championship's flyweight limits between 126 and 135 lb (56.8 to 61.2 kg)
On February 3, 2009, World Extreme Cagefighting (WEC) announced they would be adding a flyweight division set at 125 lb, however the division was never instituted. When the UFC and WEC merged, UFC president Dana White indicated that the Ultimate Fighting Championship would likely add a flyweight division in the future. The UFC flyweight division was officially announced in 2011; with the inaugural champion being decided by way of a four-man tournament that began with the semifinal round held at the UFC on FX 2 event in Sydney Australia on March 2, 2012. Joseph Benavidez won his semi-final at UFC on FX 2 while Demetrious Johnson and Ian McCall fought to a draw. Johnson and McCall rematched at UFC on FX: Johnson vs. McCall on June 8, 2012 with Johnson advancing. Johnson won the first UFC flyweight championship with his win over Benavidez at UFC 152.
These tables are not always up to date. Last updated on April 23, 2016.
|UFC||September 22, 2012||Demetrious Johnson||24-2-1 (5KO 9SUB)||8|
|WSOF||October 17, 2015||Magomed Bibulatov||10-0-0 (1KO 4SUB)||0|
|ONE Championship||November 21, 2015||Kairat Akhmetov||23-0-0 (5KO 13SUB)||0|
|Invicta FC||April 5, 2013||Barb Honchak||10-2-0 (1KO 2SUB)||2|
- "Nevada Revised Statutes: Chapter 467 - Unarmed Combat". leg.state.nv.us. Retrieved 2007-02-20.
- "Unified Rules of MMA". ABCBoxing.com. Retrieved 2012-07-15.
- Nelson, Chris (2010-07-19). "'The Way of Shooto 4' Quick Results". BloodyElbow.com. Retrieved 2012-03-19.
- "WEC's long-awaited 125-pound weight class likely to come in early 2010". 2009-08-07.
- "Dana White announces merger between UFC and WEC". Las Vegas Sun. 2010-10-28.
- "UFC adds flyweights: Johnson vs. McCall, Benavidez vs. Urushitani at UFC on FX 2". MMAJunkie.com. 2011-12-11.
- MMAjunkie UFC Champ Demetrious Johnson critical of striking. retrieved 25 September 2012