Foam Lake post office
|Census division||No. 10|
|Rural Municipality||Foam Lake|
|• Mayor||Bob Johnson|
|• Town Administrator||Gloria Leader|
|• Total||6.06 km2 (2.34 sq mi)|
|• Density||189.4/km2 (491/sq mi)|
|Postal code||S0A 1A0|
|Post Office established||1900|
|Website||Town of Foam Lake|
Foam Lake was founded in 1882 by Joshua Milligan, an English fur trader. It was subsequently settled by Icelanders, Ukrainians and various English-speaking nationalities. It was incorporated as a town in 1924.
The Foam Lake Museum (c. 1926) is a Municipal Heritage Property on the Canadian Register of Historic Places.
In the summer of 2006, two major fires destroyed a major part of Main Street in Foam Lake. The first fire destroyed three businesses and one home. These included the water fountain/Sears outlet/Backyard Studios, the doctor's office and Dennis' Cafe, which was also the owner's home. The second fire started in one of the three grain elevators. The first elevator burned to the ground and also spread to the second one. The volunteer fire department was able to put out the blaze with the help of two water bombers and volunteer fire departments from surrounding communities.
98% of the residents are of Ukrainian (45.2%), English (21.2%), German (12.0%), Scottish (11.6%) and Icelandic (8.0%) descent.
|Canada census – Foam Lake community profile|
|Population:||1,148 (+2.2% from 2006)||1,123 (-7.8% from 2001)|
|Land area:||6.06 km2 (2.34 sq mi)||6.06 km2 (2.34 sq mi)|
|Population density:||189.4/km2 (491/sq mi)||185.3/km2 (480/sq mi)|
|Median age:||50.9 (M: 47.9, F: 53.9)||51.7 (M: 47.0, F: 56.2)|
|Total private dwellings:||599||605|
|Median household income:||$32,790|
|References: 2011 2006|
- Quill Lakes International Bird Area northwest of Foam Lake attracts bird watchers from all over the world.
In recent years Foam Lake's high school football team (Foam Lake Panthers) has been successful. In the past five seasons, the Panthers have made four trips to the provincial final, winning twice.
- Bernie Federko professional ice hockey player. Bernie was born and raised in Foam Lake.
- Pat Elynuik professional ice hockey player.
- Dennis Polonich professional ice hockey player.
- Ted Hargreaves professional ice hockey player.
- Ashlyn George is a travel writer and currently the Saskatchewanderer
- Tania Miller is another famous Foam Laker. She is the youngest person and first woman to become conductor of a major Canadian Symphony Orchestra.
- National Archives, Archivia Net. "Post Offices and Postmasters". Archived from the original on 6 October 2006. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Government of Saskatchewan, MRD Home. "Municipal Directory System". Archived from the original on 15 January 2016. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Foam Lake Museum. "Canadian Register of Historic Places". Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- CBC News, June 29, 2006. "Fire destroys businesses in Foam Lake". Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Foam Lake, SK, 2006-07-31. "Fire Canada". Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- "2011 Community Profiles". Canada 2011 Census. Statistics Canada. July 5, 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-06.
- "2006 Community Profiles". Canada 2006 Census. Statistics Canada. March 30, 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-18.
- "Quill Lakes International Bird Area" (PDF). Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Foam Lake Schools. "Horizon School Division #205". Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Tania Miller. "The Canadian Encyclopedia". Retrieved 6 September 2013.