Roots and characteristics
The Apostles of the Slavs, Cyril and Methodius, have been venerated by Serbian Orthodox Christians since their Christianization in 867, they have been considered Serbs by historians.
Serbian Epic poetry
Serbian epic poetry (Српске епске народне песме) is a form of epic poetry written by Serbs originating in today's Serbia, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Montenegro. The main cycles were composed by unknown Serb authors between the 14th and 19th centuries. They are largely concerned with historical events and personages.
The corpus of Serbian epic poetry is divided into cycles:
- Non-historic cycle
- Pre-Kosovo cycle - poems about events that predate the Battle of Kosovo
- Cycle of Kraljević Marko
- Kosovo cycle - poems about events that happened just before and after the Battle of Kosovo (no poem covers the battle itself)
- Post-Kosovo cycle - poems about post-Battle events
- Poems about the liberation of Serbia
- Poems about the liberation of Montenegro
- Calendar of Resurrection; Bašić 1913:55
- Николић 1912: 165-167