Location of Folsom in St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana.
Location of Louisiana in the United States
|Coordinates: Coordinates: |
|• Mayor||Lance Willie (R)|
|• Total||1.65 sq mi (4.27 km2)|
|• Land||1.64 sq mi (4.25 km2)|
|• Water||0.01 sq mi (0.02 km2)|
|Elevation||157 ft (48 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||493.30/sq mi (190.46/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||2407456 |
Folsom is a village in St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 716 at the 2010 census. The town is named after the wife of Grover Cleveland, Frances Folsom. It is part of the New Orleans–Metairie–Kenner Metropolitan Statistical Area.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.7 square miles (4.3 km2), all land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 525 people, 197 households, and 142 families residing in the village. The population density was 344.0 inhabitants per square mile (132.5/km²). There were 222 housing units at an average density of 145.4 per square mile (56.0/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 72.95% White, 24.95% African American, 0.57% Native American, 0.38% from other races, and 1.14% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.43% of the population.
There were 197 households out of which 36.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.8% were married couples living together, 11.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.9% were non-families. 24.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.66 and the average family size was 3.18.
In the village, the population was spread out with 27.2% under the age of 18, 8.6% from 18 to 24, 30.1% from 25 to 44, 22.7% from 45 to 64, and 11.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 92.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.0 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $33,889, and the median income for a family was $42,500. Males had a median income of $24,167 versus $19,250 for females. The per capita income for the village was $14,982. About 13.6% of families and 15.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.3% of those under age 18 and 8.3% of those age 65 or over.
St. Tammany Parish Public Schools serves Folsom residents.
- Folsom Elementary School in Folsom serves grades K-5.
- Folsom Junior High School, in unincorporated St. Tammany Parish, covers grades 6-8 for Folsom.
- Covington High School in Covington serves Folsom residents.
- Tanner Rainey (MLB, 2019 World Series Champion)
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Village of Folsom, Louisiana
- "Election Returns: St. Tammany Parish:". Louisiana Secretary of State. November 6, 2018. Retrieved November 9, 2018.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 2, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Folsom village, Louisiana". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on September 11, 2013. Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- "Welcome to Folsom, Louisiana Online!". Folsom Government Website. Archived from the original on May 10, 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-31.
- Louisiana Atlas & Gazetteer, DeLorme, 3rd ed., 2010, p. 47 ISBN 0899332862
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on April 26, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- Folsom Elementary School Boundary. St. Tammany Parish Public Schools
- Folsom Junior High School Boundary. St. Tammany Parish Public Schools
- Covington High School Boundary Archived August 5, 2007, at the Wayback Machine. St. Tammany Parish Public Schools