|Village of Folsom|
|Elevation||154 ft (47 m)|
|Area||1.7 sq mi (4.4 km2)|
|- land||1.7 sq mi (4 km2)|
|- water||0.0 sq mi (0 km2), 0%|
|Density||421.2 / sq mi (162.6 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
Folsom is a village in St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana, United States. The population was 716 at the 2010 census. The town is named after the wife of Grover Cleveland, Frances Folsom. It is part of the New Orleans–Metairie–Kenner Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Folsom is located at (30.629985, -90.190042).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 1.7 square miles (4.3 km2), all land.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 525 people, 197 households, and 142 families residing in the village. The population density was 344.0 inhabitants per square mile (132.5/km²). There were 222 housing units at an average density of 145.4 per square mile (56.0/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 72.95% White, 24.95% African American, 0.57% Native American, 0.38% from other races, and 1.14% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.43% of the population.
There were 197 households out of which 36.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.8% were married couples living together, 11.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.9% were non-families. 24.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.66 and the average family size was 3.18.
In the village the population was spread out with 27.2% under the age of 18, 8.6% from 18 to 24, 30.1% from 25 to 44, 22.7% from 45 to 64, and 11.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 92.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.0 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $33,889, and the median income for a family was $42,500. Males had a median income of $24,167 versus $19,250 for females. The per capita income for the village was $14,982. About 13.6% of families and 15.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.3% of those under age 18 and 8.3% of those age 65 or over.
St. Tammany Parish Public Schools serves Folsom residents.
- Folsom Elementary School in Folsom serves grades K-5.
- Folsom Junior High School, in unincorporated St. Tammany Parish, covers grades 6-8 for Folsom.
- Covington High School in Covington serves Folsom residents.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Folsom village, Louisiana". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 21, 2012.
- "Welcome to Folsom, Louisiana Online!". Folsom Government Website. Retrieved 2008-03-31.[dead link]
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2015-06-16.
- U.S. Decennial Census; census.gov
- Folsom Elementary School Boundary. St. Tammany Parish Public Schools
- Folsom Junior High School Boundary. St. Tammany Parish Public Schools
- Covington High School Boundary. St. Tammany Parish Public Schools