Southern Software Inc.
The Font Bureau, Inc. or Font Bureau is a digital type foundry based in Boston, Massachusetts, United States. The foundry is one of the leading designers of typefaces, specializing in type designs for magazine and newspaper publishers.
Font Bureau was founded in 1989 by Roger Black and David Berlow. Before founding Font Bureau, Roger Black was an established publications designer and consultant. David Berlow is a noted type designer. The New York Times Magazine, Newsweek, Esquire Magazine, Rolling Stone and the Wall Street Journal rank among Font Bureau's client list. Apart from Black and Berlow, other prominent designers at Font Bureau have included Tobias Frere-Jones, later of Hoefler & Frere-Jones and Frere-Jones Type, and Cyrus Highsmith, later of Occupant Fonts and Morisawa. Matthew Carter has been a frequent collaborator with the foundry.
In October 2009, news sources reported that Font Bureau was "suing NBC Universal for at least $2 million over the entertainment company's use of its fonts." Font Bureau claimed NBC broke its license agreement in its use of the fonts Antenna, Bureau Grotesque and Interstate in marketing material.
Following the launch of Type Network in 2016, Font Bureau foundry would begin to focus primarily on type design and custom services, while the company's font licensing business, font development activities, and retail shop would be relocated to Type Network.
The following foundry types were issued by Font Foundry:
- "文鼎字型正式加入日本株式會社森澤" (in Chinese (Taiwan)). Arphic. 21 April 2022. Retrieved 22 September 2022.
- Keene, Cindy Atoji (May 25, 2008). "From A to Z, font designer knows his type". The Boston Globe. Retrieved 2010-01-03.
- "Dancing with the Dead". Communication Arts. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011. Retrieved 19 April 2022.
- NBC Universal in $2M fight over use of fonts
- Koppel, Nathan (October 9, 2009). "NBC Hit With Font Infringement Suit (Of All Things)". The Wall Street Journal Blogs. Retrieved 2010-01-03.
- Font Bureau and partners launch Type Network
- Font Bureau library now available exclusively on Type Network
- "Font Bureau - Adobe Fonts". fonts.adobe.com. Retrieved 7 May 2020.