A road in the centre of Fontenay-sous-Bois
Paris and inner ring departments
|• Mayor (2016–2020)||Maxime DANAUS|
|Area1||5.58 km2 (2.15 sq mi)|
|• Density||9,500/km2 (25,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|INSEE/Postal code||94033 /94120|
|Elevation||44–111 m (144–364 ft)|
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The commune was known alternatively as Fontenay-les-Bois (meaning "Fontenay by the woods"), Fontenay-sur-le-Bois (meaning "Fontenay over the wood"), or Fontenay-sous-Bois (meaning "Fontenay under wood"), but eventually in the early 19th century the latter name of Fontenay-sous-Bois became the only name. The wood referred to in the name of the commune is the Bois de Vincennes.
In 1929, the commune of Fontenay-sous-Bois lost more than a third of its territory when the city of Paris annexed the Bois de Vincennes, a large part of which belonged to Fontenay-sous-Bois.
The Rosettes fountain was lost during World War II. Years later, it was found by chance in a market in the South of France; the town of Fontenay-sous-Bois recovered it, and re-installed it in the place where it can be seen today.
The commune has eleven preschools, eleven elementary schools, one junior high school, two CES junior high schools, one senior high school/sixth-form college, and one LEP. Collège Victor Duruy and Lycée Pablo Picasso are the main secondary schools.
- Claude Le Péron, bass guitarist
- Noe Pamarot, footballer
- Blaise Matuidi, footballer
- Georges Jouve, ceramist
- Jean-François Voguet, mayor from 2001 to 2014, ordered the expulsion of people living in a house belonging to the city. The mayor is now part of the few PCF mayors who practice the expulsion of squatters.
- "Etablissements scolaires." Fontenay-sous-Bois. Retrieved on September 3, 2016.
- Рішення від 25.12.2015 № 52-04-07 «Про перейменування вулиць та провулків м. Бровари» "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-01-25. Retrieved 2015-12-31.,  (in Ukrainian). Brovary City Council. 28.12.2015
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fontenay-sous-Bois.|