|Foo Fighters: Back and Forth|
|Directed by||James Moll|
|Edited by||Tim Calandrello|
|March 15, 2011 (SXSW)|
April 5, 2011
Foo Fighters: Back and Forth is a 2011 rockumentary about the American rock band Foo Fighters, directed by filmmaker James Moll. The film documents the band's history and the recording process for their seventh studio album Wasting Light. The film's title is taken from a song of the same name on Wasting Light. In 2012, Back and Forth won the Grammy Award for Best Long Form Music Video.
The film includes material taken from over 1,000 hours of historical and new footage, and interviews with the current members of Foo Fighters, former bandmembers William Goldsmith and Franz Stahl, and producer Butch Vig. Frontman Dave Grohl has said the main inspiration for the film was the decision to record Wasting Light in the garage of his mansion in Encino, California – "Personally, I thought it would be a good idea to now tell the story of the last 16 years, so it would make more sense to watch us make a record in a garage. After selling out fucking stadiums and becoming this big rock band, why would you make a garage record? To me the first hour and 20 minutes of the movie is leading up to that moment." He also added that while the band "always believed a little mystery is important to rock’n’roll", he considered it was time to tell their story, and referencing the Tom Petty documentary Runnin' Down a Dream, "If we wait any longer, we’re going to wind up with a four-hour-long documentary".
Release and reception
Back and Forth saw its debut on March 15, 2011 at the SXSW festival in Austin, Texas. The first session was followed by a surprise Foo Fighters live performance, which included the entirety of Wasting Light in its setlist.
|Australian Music DVDs Chart||1|
|Austrian Music DVDs Chart||2|
|Belgian (Flanders) Music DVDs Chart||3|
|Belgian (Wallonia) Music DVDs Chart||7|
|Danish Music DVDs Chart||2|
|Dutch Music DVDs Chart||4|
|Finnish Music DVDs Chart||1|
|German Albums Chart||27|
|Irish Music DVDs Chart||2|
|Italian Music DVDs Chart||6|
|New Zealand Music DVDs Chart||1|
|Norwegian Music DVDs Chart||1|
|Spanish Music DVDs Chart||10|
|Swedish Music DVDs Chart||1|
|Swiss Music DVDs Chart||4|
|UK Music Videos Chart||1|
|US DVDs Chart||1|
|Australia (ARIA)||2× Platinum||30,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Gold||25,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||50,000^|
^ Shipments figures based on certification alone.
|2012||NME Award Best Music Film||Back and Forth||Won|
|2012||Grammy Award for Best Long Form Music Video||Back and Forth||Won|
- "FOO FIGHTERS - BACK AND FORTH (15)". Arts Alliance Media. British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved December 1, 2013.
- Foo Fighters Discuss 'Back and Forth' Documentary at SXSW, Billboard
- Dave Grohl Q&A: The Foo Fighters frontman talks about the new Foos album, saying no to 'Glee,' and playing 'Smells LIke Teen Spirit' for the first time in 18 years, Entertainment Weekly
- Foo Fighters Documentary Premiere Followed By Surprise Show Archived 2012-02-08 at the Wayback Machine, VH1
- "ARIA Top 40 Music DVD" (PDF). The ARIA Report (1117): 22. July 25, 2011. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-07-29. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "Austria Top 40 – Musik-DVDs Top 10 24.06.2011". Austriancharts.at (in German). Hung Medien. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "Ultratop Belgian Charts". Ultratop (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "Foo Fighters – Back and Forth [DVD]". Ultratop (in French). Hung Medien. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "Musik DVD Top-10". Hitlisten.nu (in Danish). IFPI Denmark. Archived from the original on February 17, 2013. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "Dutch Charts Portal". GfK Dutch Charts (in Dutch). Hung Medien. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "Suomen Virallinen Lista – Musiikki DVD:t 26/2011". Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland (in Finnish). Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "Album – Foo Fighters, Back and Forth [DVD]". Charts.de (in German). Media Control. Archived from the original on October 31, 2014. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "Irish Charts – Singles, Albums & Compilations". IRMA. Archived from the original on June 30, 2011. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "Classifiche". FIMI (in Italian). Archived from the original on June 1, 2012. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "Top 10 Music DVDs". RIANZ. Archived from the original on February 23, 2013. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "DVD Audio Uke 25, 2011". VG-lista (in Norwegian). Archived from the original on 2012-06-03. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "Top 20 DVD Musical" (PDF). PROMUSICAE (in Spanish). Media Control GfK International. Retrieved February 3, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Sveriges Officiella Topplista". Sverigetopplistan (in Swedish). Archived from the original on December 26, 2015. Retrieved February 3, 2013. Search for Foo Fighters and click Sök.
- "Swiss Charts – Music DVD Top 10 26.06.2011". Hitparade.ch. Hung Medien. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "2011-06-25 Top 40 Music Video Archive". Official Charts Company. Archived from the original on February 4, 2013. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- Fanelli, Damian (June 23, 2011). "'Foo Fighters: Back and Forth' Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard DVD Chart". Guitar World. NewBay Media. Retrieved February 3, 2013.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2015 DVDs" (PDF). Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "British video certifications – Foo Fighters – Back and Forth". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved February 16, 2020.
- "American video certifications – Foo Fighters – Back and Forth". Recording Industry Association of America.