This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2017)
|Founded||14 January 1965|
|Founder||Government of India|
Number of locations
|5 (Zonal Offices)|
|Ashok Kumar Meena, IAS |
(Chairman & MD)
|Services||Ensuring Food security of India|
|Owner||Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, Government of India|
Number of employees
|21,847 (as on 31 March 2019)|
The Food Corporation of India (FCI) is a statutory body created and run by the Government of India. It is under the ownership of Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution, formed by the enactment of Food Corporation Act, 1964 by the Parliament of India. Its top official is designated as Chairman and Managing Director, who is a central government civil servant of the IAS cadre. It was set up in 1965 with its initial headquarters at Chennai. Later this was moved to New Delhi. It also has regional centers in the capitals of the states.
The Food Corporation of India was set up on 14 January 1965, having its first district office at Thanjavur, and headquarters at Chennai, under the Food Corporations Act 1964 to implement the National Food Policy's objectives.
It is one of the largest corporations in India started by the government, and one of the largest supply chain management companies in Asia. It operates through 5 zonal and 26 regional offices. Each year, the Food Corporation of India purchases roughly 15 to 20 percent of India's wheat output and 12 to 15 percent of its rice output. The purchases are made from the farmers at the rates declared by the Government of India. This rate is called the MSP (Minimum Support Price).
- "About Us". Food Corporation of India. Retrieved 27 March 2021.
- "Food Corporations Act".
- Acts Of Parliament. New Delhi: Government of India Press Delhi. 1966. pp. 300.
- "Asia - Google Search". www.britannica.com. Retrieved 12 October 2021.
- Chopra, R. N (1984). Green Revolution In India. Delhi: Intellectual Publishing House. p. 37.
- "Personnel – Food Corporation of India". fci.gov.in. Retrieved 10 July 2020.
- "Over 11 MT FCI silos to be built via PPP". www.financialexpress.com.
- "Ashwini Kumar Choubey inaugurated Food Corporation of India's first state of art laboratory in Gurugram". Odisha Diary. 20 November 2021. Retrieved 23 November 2021.