Food Lover's Companion
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Fourth Edition cover
|Author||Sharon Tyler Herbst|
and Ron Herbst
|Series||Barron's Cooking Guide|
|Subject||Food and cooking|
|Publisher||Barron's Educational Series|
|1990 – 2015 (Deluxe 2nd)|
|Media type||trade paperback and hardcover (Deluxe edition only)|
|Pages||928 (5th), 864 (Deluxe 2nd)|
|ISBN||978-0764167034 (Deluxe 2nd)|
Food Lover’s Companion is a book containing culinary terminology and conversion tables for cooking. Five editions have been published as of 2019.
The main section of the work is an A-to-Z list of defined culinary terminology, followed by a series of appendices.
|First||January 1990||0-8120-4156-9||582||Over 3,000|
|Second||January 1995||0-8120-1520-7||600||Over 4,000|
|Third||March 2001||0-7641-1258-9||792||Nearly 6,000|
|Fourth||August 2007||0-7641-3577-5||830||Over 6,700|
|Deluxe||September 2009||0-7641-6241-1||794||Over 6,700|
|Fifth||September 2013||978-1438001630||928||Over 7,200|
|Deluxe 2nd||April 2015||978-0764167034||864||Over 7,200|
Sharon Tyler Herbst—the primary author—wrote 16 food and beverage related books before her death on January 26, 2007. Her husband Ron—who writes about wine and cheese—finished editing the Fourth Edition after her death and is credited as the coauthor.
Bon Appetit hailed the book as "one of the best reference books we’ve seen, a must for every cook’s library", and the New York Times described it "As thick and as satisfying as a well-stuffed sandwich".
After the 2007 edition was published, Ron Herbst and the staff of Barron's Educational Series drastically reorganized the book, breaking out much of the material into specialized glossaries on subjects like chocolate, liqueurs, charcuterie, and spices. This edition was published in hardcover as The Deluxe Food Lover's Companion and included a marker ribbon bound into the spine. The 2013 fifth edition received a similar treatment in April 2015.
Fourth edition appendices
In the deluxe editions, some of these have been folded into the glossary sections.
- Ingredient Equivalents – Weight to volume conversions
- Substituting Ingredients
- Pan Substitution Chart
- High-Altitude Baking Adjustments
- Boiling Point of Water at Various Altitudes
- General Temperature Equivalents
- Hand Test for Grilling Temperatures
- Oven Temperatures
- Fahrenheit/Celsius Conversion Formulas
- Microwave Oven Conversion Chart
- Recommended Safe Cooking Temperatures
- Candymaking Cold-Water Tests
- Frying Temperatures
- Smoke Points of Popular Oils
- Fatty Acid Profiles of Popular Oils
- U.S. Measurement Equivalents
- Wine and Spirit Bottle Sizes
- Approximate Metric Equivalents
- Metric Conversion Formulas
- Food Guide Pyramid
- What's a Serving?
- Food Label Terms
- A Guide to Food Labels
- Pasta Glossary
- British and American Food and Cooking Terms
- Seasoning Suggestions
- Meat Charts
- Food Additives Directory
- Back cover of the Third and Fourth Editions.
- Konrad, Rachel (29 January 2007). "Cookbook author and foodie favorite Sharon Tyler Herbst dies". Associated Press. Retrieved 17 February 2007. Italic or bold markup not allowed in: