Food Network (Australia)
|Launched||17 November 2015|
Special Broadcasting Service|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV) 16:9|
|Audience share||0.8% nationally (2016 ratings year, )|
|Freeview SBS (virtual)||33|
Food Network is an Australian free-to-air digital television multichannel owned by the Special Broadcasting Service (SBS). The channel airs programs about food and cooking, from cultures around the world.
The channel is operated under license from Discovery Inc., the operator of the American channel of the same name. The relationship includes a programming deal with Discovery which sees numerous American Food Network programs on the channel.
SBS first revealed it would launch a channel dedicated to food on 30 September 2015, following the Australian Government's decision to not permit the public broadcaster to increase the amount of primetime advertising it is allowed to broadcast. It is Australia's first and only free-to-air channel to be dedicated exclusively to food-related programming. All programs aired on the channel are available to stream on SBS on Demand.
The channel began broadcasting on 17 November 2015 at 1 pm AEDST and is broadcast 24 hours a day on channel 33, replacing a simulcast of SBS. The first programme shown on the channel was 30 Minute Meals. Food Network was first included in the official OzTAM ratings on 1 December 2015, where it recorded a 1.3% primetime share.
On November 17, 2018 the channel will rebrand to SBS Food following the ending of the Discovery Inc. deal, which will see Discovery's American shows pulled from the channel and increased Australian content broadcast.
The majority of programming comes from Discovery's food-related shows produced overseas, as well as local Australian productions, some of which will have already aired either on an SBS channel, through the Foxtel platform or on the Fetch TV version of the American Food Network.
- 30 Minute Meals
- Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations
- Beach Eats USA
- Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern
- Brunch @ Bobby's
- Cutthroat Kitchen
- Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives
- Food Network Star
- Giada at Home
- Iron Chef America
- Kitchen Inferno
- Mystery Diners
- Reza Spice Prince of Vietnam
- Surfing the Menu
- Knox, David (22 October 2015). "Food Network to launch on SBS November 17". TV Tonight. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- "SBS prepares Food Network for November launch". Mediaweek. 22 October 2015. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- Knox, David (30 September 2015). "SBS to launch fourth channel dedicated to Food". TV Tonight. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- Hogan, Andrea (30 September 2015). "SBS to launch free-to-air food TV channel in Australia". AFN. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- Ravindran, Manori (22 October 2015). "SBS's Food Network channel set for November launch". Real Screen. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- Knox, David (1 December 2015). "New channels up and rating for Nine and SBS". TV Tonight. Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- Knox, David (27 September 2018). "SBS Food Network to drop US titles". TV Tonight. Retrieved 28 September 2018.
- "Food Network". SBS. Archived from the original on 18 January 2016. Retrieved 18 January 2016.