Food Network (Canada)
|Launched||October 9, 2000|
Corus Entertainment (80.15%, managing partner)|
Television Food Network G.P. (19.85%; Discovery Inc./Tribune Media)
|Sister channel(s)||Cooking Channel|
|Website||Food Network Canada|
Channel 603 (SD)|
Channel 1706 (HD)
Channel 561 (SD)|
Channel 129 (HD)
|Available on most Canadian cable systems||Check local listings, channels may vary|
|Bell Aliant Fibe TV||
Channel 270 (SD)|
Channel 419 (HD)
|Bell Fibe TV||
Channel 603 (SD)|
Channel 1603 (HD)
Channel 135 (SD)|
Channel 1135 (HD)
Channel 9313 (SD)|
Channel 313 (HD)
Channel 103 (SD)|
Channel 403 (HD)
|VMedia||Channel 56 (HD)|
|Zazeen||Channel 115 (HD)|
|Execulink Telecom||Channel 145 (HD)|
Food Network, previously called Food Network Canada, is a Canadian English language Category A specialty channel based on the American cable channel of the same name. It airs programming related to food, cooking, cuisine, and the food industry. The Canadian version of Food Network is a joint venture between Corus Entertainment and the American network's parent company Television Food Network, G.P. (which is majority-owned by Discovery Inc.).
The American Food Network was available in Canada since 1997 and became one of the more popular foreign cable channels available in Canada. This prompted the creation of a Canadian version which would then be able to access ad revenue through commercials under Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) regulations.
The licence for Food Network Canada was approved by the CRTC in early 2000. The channel was launched in October of that year; on the day of the launch, the American service was removed from the list of foreign channels eligible to be broadcast in Canada.
On October 27, 2010, ownership changed again as Shaw Communications gained control of Food Network as a result of its acquisition of Canwest and Goldman Sachs' interest in CW Media. On March 4, 2013, Corus Entertainment (also controlled by the Shaw family) announced the sale of its 22.58% ownership interest in Food Network to Shaw Media, in exchange for Shaw's 49% stake in ABC Spark. The sale closed in April 2013.
Food Network HD
- Canadian cuisine
- Cooking Channel (Canada)
- Food Network
- Food Network (Australia)
- List of Food Network Canada personalities
- List of programs broadcast by Food Network Canada
- "Shaw Communications closes purchase of Canwest TV assets, rebrands as Shaw Media". Therecord.com. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "CRTC approves Shaw's purchase of the Canwest Global television properties". Crtc.gc.ca. 2010-10-22. Archived from the original on 2013-12-20. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- BCE to sell assets to Corus as part of Astral deal, The Globe and Mail (via Reuters and The Canadian Press), March 4, 2013.
- "Press Release - Corus Entertainment Receives CRTC Approval on TELETOON Canada Inc., Historia and Séries+ Acquisitions". Corusent.com. Retrieved 2013-12-22.
- "Corus Entertainment acquires Shaw Media for $2.65-billion". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- "Corus Entertainment Completes Acquisition of Shaw Media". Retrieved April 2, 2016.
- Food Network Canada looking better than ever Shaw Media press release 2011-10-05