This article is written like a personal reflection, personal essay, or argumentative essay that states a Wikipedia editor's personal feelings or presents an original argument about a topic. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Although certain food trends may be more of a fad, some become long lasting and at times a permanent fixture in the culture of food. In an article in Bon Appétit the difference between a food trend versus a fad is discussed. David Saks, author of Tastemakers: Why were crazy for cupcakes but fed up with Fondue states, "Think about extra virgin olive oil—with the gourmands it hit big in the late '70s, early '80s, and it trickled down to everyone else in the '90s. It became the "thing." Now it's not a trend, nobody really talks about it. But it's the default oil. Food trends last a long time and are often good.
Discussions of trends
Authorities from Bon Appétit and Food & Wine magazines to the top chefs of the world have driven and reported on these trends. For instance, Bon Appetit recently released their top 25 food trends for 2013 in their article "The BA 25: What to eat, drink, and cook in 2013",
Smaller, blog-style sites have also appeared; examples include Violas Pantry, Mouth from the South, The Daily Meal, and Spiced that recruit smaller numbers of readers and provide entertaining, colloquial content to more targeted audiences.
- "Bon Appétit Magazine". Bonappetit.com. 2013-09-03. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- Iuzzini, Johnny (2013-10-03). "Food & Wine Magazine | Recipes, Menus, Chefs, Wine, Cooking, Holidays, Entertaining". Foodandwine.com. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "25 Food Trends for 2013 - Bon Appétit". Bonappetit.com. 2012-12-18. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "Top Chef's Food Trends - Food Trends". Violaspantry.com. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "Newest Hippest Food Trends for 2013". 2013-02-06. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "Restaurants, Recipes, Chefs, Food Trends, Entertaining and Travel Guides". The Daily Meal. 2013-02-11. Retrieved 2013-10-08.
- "Baking Trends for 2012 | Spiced". Spicedblog.com. 2012-01-03. Retrieved 2013-10-08.