Foodland (South Australia)
|Founder||Hoeper Family & various others|
Number of locations
|Northern Territory, Broken Hill, South Australia|
|Con Sciacca (CEO)|
|Products||Groceries/Food and Drink|
|Owner||Independent/Families(stores) Metcash (Brand name)|
Number of employees
|Parent||Metcash (Brand name) Stores: Independent|
Foodland is an Australian supermarket brand with 120 locations, primarily in South Australia, but also in the Northern Territory. Foodland is owned by IGA (Australia). The stores are independently owned and operated, although several operators own multiple stores, the largest groups being Drakes Supermarkets, Romeo's Retail Group, Commercial Retail Group and Eudunda Farmers. Drakes Supermarkets own over 40 supermarkets, while Romeo's Retail Group is the second largest owner with 20 plus supermarkets branded as Foodland, as well as others branded IGA and SupaIGA.
The First Foodland store was run by the Hoeper family, at Glenelg South. Established in 1871, the store became a Foodland in 1962–the first store to do so, the store has been expanded and modified over the years to become a small shopping centre and is now run by Romeo's Retail Group.
Foodland was founded in 1962 and had 32-38 original stores banding together, that number has now grown to over 110, Primarily across South Australia and a few in the Northern Territory.
In 1974 Drakes Supermarkets was founded by Roger Drake.
Some larger stores were called Foodland SupaFresh, until Foodland decided to stop using the SupaFresh name.
In April 2014 Con Sciacca was appointed Foodland CEO, he previously held several positions at Metcash and was Promoted to CEO of Foodland after over 10 years of other positions in Metcash including CEO of Franklins.
In 2015/2016 Foodland introduced a new sub slogan, "great food lives here" and a new ad that brought a new Version of "The Mighty South Aussies" jingle. While in late 2015 Foodland also announced the creation of 22 new stores with over half to be completed by mid-2017, a quarter of all stores will also be upgraded and/or enlarged, thus creating jobs.
In 2017 a Canstar survey revealed that Foodland had the most satisfied customers of any Australian Supermarket, earning 5 stars, dethroning ALDI which held the spot of number 1 for 3 years, ALDI scored 4 stars along with IGA scoring 4 stars. Coles and Woolworths scored 3 Stars each.
|Roger Drake, CEO|
Drakes Supermarkets first store opened in 1974 at Mitcham in South Australia, by Roger Drake and has since expanded to become South Australia's largest independent supermarket chain, and the largest owner of Foodland stores.
The majority of Drakes Supermarkets are operated as Foodland or IGA brands.
In May 2018, Drakes announced that it would be building its own distribution centre in Edinburgh North, expected to be completed by the end of June 2019. Drakes already operated its own fruit and vegetable distribution centre in Pooraka and meat distribution centre at Beverley.
|Tony and Elisabeth Romeo, Owners|
Romeo's Retail Group
Eudunda Farmers is a co-operative established at Eudunda in country South Australia in 1896. It owns many country Foodland stores.
The Chapley brothers, John and Nick, own a large number of metropolitan Adelaide Foodland stores. Commercial Retail Group (CRG) runs two of the flagship stores, at Pasadena and the award-winning Frewville Foodland. Pasadena and Frewville also trade as "the world's finest supermarkets".
The Rugless family, originally from Brighton, SA, originally owned a chain of butcher shops before venturing into supermarkets. They have owned and operated 10 stores.
- Lee Nicholson (22 March 2016). "10 minutes with... Con Sciacca". InDaily. Retrieved 22 March 2016.
- "Foodland sold to Drake". The Islander. 16 December 2005. Archived from the original on 30 April 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-02.
- "Store Locator". Romeo's Retail Group. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- Ian Lewis (30 November 2015). "Foodland ready for battle". ProducePlus. Melbourne: Market Intelligence Limited. Retrieved 3 February 2016.
- "About". Drakes Supermarkets. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- "New Era for Drakes: $80M Distribution Centre Opening in SA!". Drakes. 29 May 2018. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- Bloomberg. "Eudunda Farmers Ltd company profile".
- "SA supermarket named best in the world". www.adelaidenow.com.au. 2016-03-01. Retrieved 2019-01-15.
- "SA SUPERMARKET CHAIN INVESTS IN JCB QS GENERATOR RANGE". JCB. 2017-09-29. Retrieved 2019-01-15.
- ZoomInfo (2019). "Klose's Supermarkets". ZoomInfo. Retrieved January 15, 2019.
- "About | Brighton Foodland". Retrieved 2019-01-15.