Type of site
|Founder(s)||Ralf Wenzel |
|Key people||Julian Dames (CMO)|
|Industry||Online food ordering|
Foodpanda (stylized as foodpanda) is a German mobile food delivery marketplace headquartered in Berlin, Germany, operating in 10 countries and territories . The service allows users to select from local restaurants and place orders via its mobile applications as well as its websites. The company has partnered with over 27,095 restaurants in 193 cities and works with over 15,733 delivery riders. The firm was acquired by Delivery Hero in early December 2016.
The Foodpanda group was founded by Thirupal Naidu,Ralf Wenzel, Rohit Chadda, Benjamin Bauer and Felix Plog in 2012. foodpanda's Singapore business was launched by Lukas Nagel and Rico Wyder. In February 2014, Foodpanda acquired its main rival in Pakistan Eat Oye!. In November 2016 the company sold its Delivery Club business in Russia to mail.ru for $100 million. In December 2016, the Foodpanda group was acquired by the German competitor Delivery Hero. Foodpanda's business in India was acquired by Ola for all share deal on 11 December 2017.
Foodpanda processes and sends orders directly to partner restaurants, which then deliver to their customers. The service is available via its websites and mobile applications. Customers order food by entering their postcodes on the site and browsing for food from a list of restaurants. They can create meals by browsing restaurant menus and selecting items they want to order before entering an address and proceeding to the checkout. Restaurants receive these orders and then deliver to customers. Food panda sends out an SMS to confirm orders and their estimated delivery time.
Foodpanda accepts orders via its websites and mobile applications. It connects customers with restaurants that offer food delivery in their area and lets them choose, order and pay online. Foodpanda also has a review section on restaurant pages, where customers can comment on sales process, delivery, taste and overall impression of restaurants.
The company raised a total of $318 million in venture capital. Foodpanda raised $20 million in initial funding from Investment AB Kinnevik, Phenomen Ventures and Rocket Internet in April 2013. In September 2013, iMENA Holdings invested $8 Million. In February 2014, there was another funding round of $20 million from a group of investors, including Phenomen Ventures. On August 11, the company announced that it has collected another $60 million in financing from a group of investors. In March 2015, the company announced it has raised over $110 million from Rocket Internet, as well as other investors. Less than two months later, a group of investors, including Goldman Sachs, invested over $100 Million in Foodpanda.
The Delivery Hero group consists of multiple international brands. Foodpanda in Asia and Eastern Europe, Foodora in Europe, Australia and Canada, hellofood in the Middle East, Delivery Club in Russia, 24h in UAE, NetPincer in Hungary, Donesi.com in Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina and Montenegro, Pauza in Croatia, and Otlob in Egypt and Food Panda in Pakistan .
Foodpanda is operating in 11 countries in Asia, Eastern Europe and Middle East, including
- Egypt (under the name "Otlob")
- Hong Kong
- India (not under the same group)
On November 1, 2017 foodpanda re-branded from Orange to Pink with updated logo across all the countries. The rebrand follows its acquisition by tech giant Delivery Hero in December 2016, changing its brand colour from orange to pink. While the iconic panda will still remain at the forefront of its logo, it has been tweaked into a rounder and more “modern” version. According to the company, the new logo aims to be more memorable. Also, foodpanda’s font has also been updated to be more contemporary, which is in line with the brand’s new direction. Pink is also the signature colour of its sister company foodora. The rebranding will roll out globally in 190 cities across 11 countries (except India where the business was sold to Ola Cabs) including Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Taiwan and Thailand. Besides new brand identity the company also launched a new app and front end with added value for the customers, including an improved user-friendly interface or features such as the live tracking of orders and dynamic delivery times. As part of the new look, the company had to work on its app, website and other digital platforms, before moving on to over 1,500 restaurant partners in Singapore to replace all of its orange restaurant collaterals.
- Anand, Ayush DP (January 19, 2017). "Hong Kong food delivery services put to the test". South China Morning Post. Retrieved June 21, 2017.
- "Foodpanda locations".
- "Delivery Hero Acquires foodpanda". Delivery Hero. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- Russell, Jon (18 December 2017). "Uber rival Ola buys Foodpanda India to get into food deliveries". TechCrunch. Oath Inc. Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "Malaysian Entrepreneur Launches Food Delivery Website for Hungry Busy City Consumers". Next Up Asia. 29 March 2012. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "Food Panda takes over Eat Oye!". The Express Tribune. The Express Tribune. February 6, 2015.
- Ingrid, Lunden (2016-11-03). "Rocket Internet's Foodpanda sells Russian takeout business to Mail.Ru for $100M". techcrunch.com. TechCrunch. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- "Food Panda, Rocket Internet's Answer To Grub Hub, Now Delivering Food In 25 Emerging Markets; Launches First Mobile App". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2013-04-03.
- "Food panda: Rocket Internet's Play At Food Delivery in Asia". Tech In Asia. Retrieved 2013-05-22.
- "Nokia Partners With Rocket Internet to Launch Hellofood and Foodpanda App On Nokia Asha, Lumia & X Family of Devices". Tech World Africa. Retrieved Feb 26, 2014.
- "Order Food Online with Foodpanda Mobile App". Techno Booklet. Retrieved Jan 10, 2014.
- "[Cool] Online food delivery site FoodPanda now features restaurant reviews". Vulcan Post. Retrieved Feb 21, 2014.
- "Profile - Foodpanda". crunchbase.com. Crunchbase. 2016. Retrieved 2017-01-18.
- Bhanver, Jagmohan; Bhanver, Komal (25 March 2017). "CLICK!: The Amazing Story of India's E-commerce Boom and Where It's Headed". Hachette India – via Google Books.
- "Rocket Internet-Backed FoodPanda Raises $20M+ As It Prepares For The Next Course In Its Food Delivery Ambitions". Tech Crunch. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- "iMENA Invests $8M In Foodpanda's Hellofood To Help Rocket Expand Take-Out Service In Middle East". Tech Crunch. Retrieved Sep 9, 2013.
- "Rocket Internet-backed Foodpanda raises $20M in funding from Phenomen Ventures, others". Techcircle. Retrieved Feb 4, 2014.
- "Online meal delivery firm foodpanda gets $60 mln in financing". Reuters. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- "Rocket Internet's Foodpanda fattens up with $110M funding". Tech in Asia. 12 March 2015. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "Rocket-backed Foodpanda raises $100 million in round led by Goldman". Reuters. 1 May 2015. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "foodpanda". www.deliveryhero.com.
- "From orange to pink: foodpanda undergoes global rebrand". marketing-interactive.com.
- Koswaraputra, Dandy (October 3, 2016). "Indonesia's foodpanda closes down after being defeated by newcomers". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved June 21, 2017.
- 港股策略王: issue 094 毫子股 高山行教你點揀股. 94 (in Chinese). 2016. Retrieved June 21, 2017.
- Борисов, С. (2017). 500 лучших бесплатных приложений для платформы Android (in Russian). ЛитРес. p. 198. ISBN 978-5-457-61332-4. Retrieved June 21, 2017.
- "foodpanda: În perioada sesiunii studenţii comandă cartofi prăjiţi, ciorbă de văcuţă şi burgeri". Ziarul Financiar (in Romanian). Retrieved June 21, 2017.