Foods of the Southwest Indian Nations
Foods of the Southwest Indian Nations is a 2002 cookbook by Lois Ellen Frank, food historian, cookbook author, photographer, and culinary anthropologist.:188 The book won a 2003 James Beard award, the first Native American cuisine cookbook so honored.:188 CNN called it "the first Native American cookbook to turn the heads of James Beard Foundation award judges".
Frank was working in advertising as a commercial photographer for mass-market food and beverage products when a mentor questioned the meaningfulness of her work, and she had a "moment of reckoning." She proposed a book on Native American cuisine to publishers in New York, who told her "that Native people didn't have a cuisine, and that I didn't have the credentials to write any such book." She returned to school to earn a Master's and then a PhD in Cultural Anthropology, and recalls that "at the time, they were teaching that American cuisine was made up of immigrant populations. The traditions of Native kitchens were largely overlooked."
- Granillo, Aaron. "Apache Chef Revives The Cuisine Of His Ancestors". www.knau.org. Retrieved 2019-07-27.
- Sean Sherman; Beth Dooley (2017). The Sioux Chef's Indigenous Kitchen. University of Minnesota Press. ISBN 978-0-8166-9979-7.
- "Rediscovering Native American cuisine before it gets lost". Food Management. 2019-01-02. Retrieved 2019-07-27.
- Biggers, Ashley (September 5, 2018). "The first truly American cuisine is having a revival". CNN. Retrieved October 4, 2019.
- Swanson, Stevenson (May 14, 2003). "Star grazing". Chicago Tribune.
- Biggers, Ashley (2018-09-05). "The first truly American cuisine is having a revival". CNN. Retrieved 2019-06-07.
- Frederich, Lori (November 20, 2013). "Chef Lois Ellen Frank demystifies new Native American cuisine". OnMilwaukee.com. Retrieved October 4, 2019.
- Babb, Robin (May 22, 2019). "The 'Nativore' Chef Working to Improve Nutrition in Indigenous Communities". Civil Eats. Retrieved October 4, 2019.
- "Lois Ellen Frank". NPR.org. Retrieved 2019-07-27.
- Frank, Lois Ellen (2002). Foods of the Southwest Indian Nations: Traditional & Contemporary Native American Recipes. Ten Speed Press. ISBN 9781580083980.