"Football Crazy" is a song believed to have been written by James Curran (died 1900), which, with slightly different lyrics, became a minor hit in 1960 for Scots folk duo Robin Hall and Jimmie Macgregor, largely as a result of exposure on the BBC's Tonight programme. The song was covered by another Scottish singer, Adam McNaughtan, under its original title of "Fitba' Crazy", on his 1988 album Words Words Words.
As an instrumental arrangement, it is also used as the theme tune to BBC tv's "Match of the Day".
The phrase "football crazy" came into popular use during the 1960s, following the song's success, and was extended into the common phrase it is today, often paraphrased. Amongst other things, it has been the title of:
- A 1981 episode of Metal Mickey
- A 1982 episode of The Goodies
- A 1994 film
- A 1999 TV documentary
- A 2000 episode of Taggart
- An ESPN TV sports show
- Kingsley, Hilary (1989). Box of Delights: the Golden Years of Television. Papermac. p. 275. ISBN 0333499409.
- Traditional Scottish Songs. Accessed 29 December 2012
- The Balladeers: Words Words Words, Adam McNaughtan. Accessed 29 December 2012