|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Hosted by||James Richardson|
|Original release||2006 – present|
Football Weekly is a podcast about football, hosted by The Guardian newspaper in the United Kingdom. Originally provided weekly (as its name suggests), its popularity led to a mid-weekly spinoff, Football Weekly Extra. Football Weekly airs on Mondays during the European football season, after the weekend's fixtures, while Football Weekly Extra airs on Thursdays. During the Euro 2008, World Cup 2010, Euro 2012, World Cup 2014 and Euro 2016 tournaments the podcast aired daily.
It is presented by James Richardson, who is joined by various Guardian journalists and correspondents, most regularly Barry Glendenning. Despite being an English production, the show takes a notably Eurocentric view of world football matters. Particular emphasis is placed on the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and the Bundesliga.
Origin and listening figures
The highest recorded number of listeners to the pod is 378,000; though the number is often quoted at 150,000 listeners.
- James Richardson (host)
- Barry Glendenning
- Jacob Steinberg
- Iain Macintosh
- Philippe Auclair (French football correspondent)
- Sid Lowe (Spanish football correspondent)
- Raphael Honigstein (German football correspondent)
- Fernando Duarte (Brazilian football correspondent)
- Paolo Bandini (Italian football correspondent)
- Jonathan Wilson (Eastern European football correspondent)
- Gregg Bakowski (formerly Gregg Roughley)
- Amy Lawrence
- John Ashdown
- Owen Gibson
- Michael Cox
- Paul MacInnes
- Simon Burnton
- James Horncastle
- Barney Ronay
Intermittent and former cast members
- Michael Hann
- Kevin McCarra (former chief football writer for The Guardian)
- Rob Smyth
- Ewan Murray
- Sean Ingle
- Matt Scott
- Tom Lutz
- Marcela Mora y Araujo (Argentinian football correspondent)
- Paul Doyle
- James Dart
- Leander Schaerlaeckens (Dutch football and US football correspondent)
- Scott Murray
- Pedro Pinto
- Louise Taylor
- Jaunty Ian McCourt
- "James Richardson and his pod-mates return to preview the new Premier League season". The Guardian. London. 10 August 2007. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "Battle of the Pods". Epltalk.com. 2007-02-01. Retrieved 2014-05-08.
- "Football Weekly Extra". The Guardian. London. 10 April 2008. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- Wells, Matt (10 April 2008). "Radio Guardian: our Sony award nominations". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 2 May 2010.
- "The Guardian wins Newspaper, Writer and Podcast of the Year awards". The Guardian. London. 1 December 2014. Retrieved 27 February 2015.