Football at the 2008 Summer Olympics
|Dates||6 August – 23 August|
|Teams||16 (men) + 12 (women) (from 6 confederations)|
|Venue(s)||6 (in 5 host cities)|
|Champions|| Argentina (men)
United States (women)
|Runners-up|| Nigeria (men)
|Third place|| Brazil (men)
|Fourth place|| Belgium (men)
|Goals scored||135 (2.33 per match)|
|Attendance||2,144,268 (36,970 per match)|
|Football at the
2008 Summer Olympics
Football at the 2008 Summer Olympics was held in Beijing and several other cities in the People's Republic of China from 6 August to 23 August. Associations affiliated with FIFA were invited to send their full women's national teams and men's U-23 teams to participate. Men's teams were allowed to augment their squad with three players over the age of 23.
For these games, the men competed in a 16-team tournament, and the women in a 12-team tournament. Football preliminaries actually commenced two days before the Opening Ceremony of the Games on 8 August.
Aside from the host city Beijing, football matches took place in four other cities:
- Beijing: Beijing National Stadium
- Beijing: Workers' Stadium
- Qinhuangdao: Qinhuangdao Olympic Sports Centre Stadium
- Shanghai: Shanghai Stadium
- Shenyang: Shenyang Olympic Stadium
- Tianjin: Tianjin Olympic Centre Stadium
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Association football at the 2008 Summer Olympics.|
- "Sports Competition Schedule". BOCOG. 2006-04-17. Retrieved 2006-08-10.
- "Athletics". (Sports). International Olympic Committee. 2006. Retrieved 2006-08-10. External link in
- "Programme of the Games of the XXIX Olympiad, Beijing 2008" (pdf). International Olympic Committee. Retrieved 2006-08-10.
- Olympic Football Tournaments Beijing 2008 - Men, FIFA.com
- Olympic Football Tournaments Beijing 2008 - Women, FIFA.com