Foothill High School (Pleasanton, California)
|Foothill High School|
|4375 Foothill Rd.
Pleasanton, CA 94588
|School district||Pleasanton Unified School District|
|Website||Foothill HS Home Page|
Foothill High School (FHS) is a four-year secondary school in Pleasanton, California. It was built in 1973. It is one of two comprehensive high schools and two alternative high schools in the Pleasanton Unified School District. The current enrollment is 2,343 students. The school mascot is the falcon and the official crosstown rival high school is Amador Valley High School. The school colors are gold and royal blue. FHS was recognized in 2001 as a California Distinguished School and a 2002 National Blue Ribbon California Nominee. In addition, FHS was a 2006 winner of the National Blue Ribbon Award.
Matt Sweeney, the long time head varsity coach, has led the Falcons football program to a record of 251–84–5 since 1987 when he took over. He has also led them to four CIF North Coast Section Football Championships, as well as fifteen East Bay Athletic League titles. Foothill had an incredible 2015 season, as they claimed the EBAL title for the second straight year. The Falcons were a perfect 10-0 in the regular season, and did not trail in a single game until the NCS semi-finals. They finished as NCS finalists with a record of 12-1, they were also ranked in the top 10 programs in the state, and the top 150 in the nation. Coach Sweeney's football alumni include:
- Brandon Crawford, shortstop for the San Francisco Giants
- Sean Mannion (American football), quarterback for the St. Louis Rams.
- Raymond Hudson, TE for the California Golden Bears
- Isaiah Langley, DB for the University of Southern California
- Kyle Kearns, QB for Wake Forest University
- Art Club
- Artistic Movement Club
- ASB (Associated Student Body) / Leadership
- ASL (American Sign Language) Club
- Badminton Club
- Baking Club
- Bhangra Club
- California Scholarship Federation (CSF) Club
- Chinese Yo-Yo Club
- Crochet/Origami Club
- DECA Club
- Do Something Club
- Earth Club
- Engineering Club
- Fashion Club
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- Fight for Life Club
- Film Club
- Film Making Club
- FISH Club
- Fitness Club
- Flautists' Musique
- Foothill Buddies Club
- Foothill Robotics Club
- FPPN (Future Practicing Physicians Network)
- French Club
- Future Civic Leaders Club
- Gay/Straight Alliance (GSA) Club
- German Club
- Gus "Swinging Hands" Wagner Club
- Harry Potter Club
- Healthy Food and Lifestyle
- Hip Hop Club
- Interact Club
- Japanese Club
- Junior State Of America (JSA) Club
- Key Club
- Latin Club
- Latino Leadership Club
- Math Club
- Mu Alpha Theta (Math Team)
- Multicultural Club
- Mural Painting
- Muslim Student Association Club
- National Honors Society Club
- Operation Smile Club
- Our Movement Club
- Peer Tutoring
- Philosophy Club
- Red Rhino Orphanage Club
- Robotics Club
- S (Community Service) Club
- Science Olympiad Club
- Secular Student Alliance
- Spanish Club
- Student Filmmaker Association
- Teens For Literacy Club
- True Blue Club
- Tupe Club
- Uganda Club
- Ultimate Frisbee Club
- UNICEF Club
- Upbeat Chamber Club
- WISER Club
- Writers Club
- Yoga Club
As a high school division of Rotary International, Interact works hard to support the community, United States, and countries all over the world. Every year the club chooses a charity to direct their efforts towards. In the 2009-2010 school year, Interact raised money and volunteered for End Polio Now. In the 2010-2011 school year, the club is working hard to raise money for Shelter Box. Shelter Box is a non-profit organization that provides emergency survival kits after natural disasters. In addition to helping the global community, Interact members are required to do ten hours of philanthropy within the community.
The Foothill Latin Club fosters the learning of the Latin language and of Roman culture by providing language help, preparing students for the National Latin Exam, and participating in competitive quiz-bowl tournaments called Certamen. The club is a recognized chapter in the California and National Junior Classical League. From the fall of 2008 to the summer of 2012, Jack Reed was the President of the Latin Club. At the 2011 California Junior Classical League State Convention, the club won "First Place Chapter Statewide" in the Small School division, and the Latin 3 Certamen team placed in the top three in the state. At the 2012 Convention, the club was awarded the "Best New Chapter" in the state and again won "First Place Chapter Statewide" in the Small School division. The Latin 2 Certamen team won second place in state, and the Latin 1 Certamen team ranked third in state.
Classes are offered in Marching Band, Concert Band, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Band, Auxiliary Units, and Percussion. The Foothill Band provides many Performance opportunities for its students, including: home football games, band reviews, special performance opportunities, tours, jazz festivals, concert festivals, and hosting the Foothill Band Review and Field Show Competition.
The Foothill marching band competes in the Northern California Band Association (NCBA) circuit.
Past Foothill Band performances include a tour of England on New Year's Day in 1995, where the band set a Guinness World Book record for the longest distance a marching band has played. Among the Band's other achievements are a tour of Nice, France, five performances at the Pasadena Tournament of Roses Parade, performances in Hawaii, Canada, the Fiesta and Sun Bowls, Southern California, and the Portland Rose Festival Parade.
Previous Foothill Band Director, Gus "Swinging Hands" Wagner, is currently head commander of the Amador Valley High School Marching Dons and Colorguard. He also has had formidable victories with the Marching Dons along with a great history as BDB extraordinaire.
In 2007, Foothill took Grand Champion at the Fiesta Bowl Parade with 1st in Music, Marching, Drum Major, General Effect, and Auxiliary.
||This article's list of alumni may not follow Wikipedia's verifiability or notability policies. (May 2011)|
- Todd Fischer, Professional golfer on the PGA Tour
- T. J. Friedl, baseball player
- Paula Creamer, professional golfer on the LPGA
- Gabrielle Union, actress and former model
- Ryan Roxie, former guitarist for Alice Cooper
- Keith Millard, former NFL defensive tackle and current defensive line coach for the NFL Tampa Bay Buccaneers
- Brad Bergesen, starting pitcher for the MLB Baltimore Orioles
- Rob Williams, host of the The Rob, Anybody, and Dawn Show in Sacramento, CA
- Brandon Crawford, infielder for the MLB, three-time World Series champion San Francisco Giants 
- Sean Mannion (American football), starting quarterback for OSU
Ranked number 408 on Newsweek's 2008 list of the 1,300 Top U.S. Schools. Out of over 26,000 public high schools ranked by U.S. news in 2014, Foothill High School was ranked 327th in terms of academics and college readiness.
- School Level Enrollment Reports
- Staff. "2003/2004 Fiesta Bowl National Band Championship and Fiesta Bowl Parade". fiestabands.com. Retrieved 2009-08-22.
- Crasnick, Jerry (August 10, 2016). "T.J. Friedl's journey to signing as an undrafted free agent". ESPN.com. Retrieved August 15, 2016.
- "Keith Millard". databaseFootball.com. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Brad Bergesen Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Brandon Crawford Stats". Baseball Almanac. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- "Sean Mannion". CBS Interactive. Retrieved December 3, 2012.
- America's Top Public High Schools | Newsweek Best High Schools | Newsweek.com