Arcadia Unified School District
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
In 2015 the district began a policy allowing transgender students use of facilities for the genders which they identify as; Arcadia USD did this after it reached a settlement with the Office of Civil Rights of the U.S. Department of Education and the U.S. Department of Justice regarding a female-to-male transgender student who went on a district-organized camping trip and his assignment of a cabin during that trip.
The district consists of six elementary schools (Holly Avenue Elementary School, Longley Way, Baldwin Stocker, Camino Grove, Highland Oaks, and Hugo Reid), three middle schools (Richard Henry Dana Middle School, Foothills Middle School, First Avenue Middle School) and one high school, Arcadia High School (Arcadia, California).
Foothills Middle School
|Foothills Middle School|
|171 E. Sycamore Ave.
Arcadia, California 91006
|Motto||"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." –Ralph Waldo Emerson|
|School district||Arcadia Unified School District|
|Number of students||771|
Foothills Middle School is a three-year middle school for students in grades 6 through 8, located within the city of Arcadia, California. Feeder elementary schools to this student body population of 764 are primarily Highland Oaks Elementary and Hugo Reid Elementary. Foothills Middle School feeds into Arcadia High School.
For 2012-2013, Foothills attained an API of 977. More than 90% of students scored in the advanced proficient category for English and Language Arts, Math, and Science. In the 2007-2008 school year, Foothills Middle School scored second in terms of API in all of the public school systems in California and was the 7th best middle school in California.
In the summer of 2006, the city passed Measure I, a school bond measure. A portion of the collected revenues will fund improvements at Foothills Middle School, which include converting classrooms to science labs, expanding the music building, upgrading the multipurpose room, the library, and the computer lab facilities. However, construction was not able to start because an inspection test revealed that the school was built on a large fault. Remodeling however, will continue.
Asian 470 (57%) Black 15 (1.81%) Hispanic 108 (13.04%) Multiple Race 5 (0.60%) Pacific Islander 1 (0.12%) White 229 (27.66%) Female 440 (53%) Male 388 (47%)
- Bosman, Julie and Motoko Rich. "As Transgender Students Make Gains, Schools Hesitate at Bathrooms." The New York Times. November 4, 2015. Retrieved on November 6, 2015.
- "Foothills Middle School School Facts and Accountability Information, 2012–2013". School Wise Press. Archived from the original on 2014-10-06. Retrieved 2014-09-30.
- "Foothills Middle School, School Fact Sheet, 2012-2013" (PDF). School Wise Press. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2014-10-06. Retrieved 2014-09-30.
- Arcadia Unified School District website[permanent dead link]
- Arcadia High School website
- Dana Middle School website
- Foothills Middle School website
- First Avenue Middle School website
- Baldwin Stocker Elementary School Website
- Longley Way Elementary School website
- Holly Avenue Elementary School website
- Hugo Reid Elementary School website
- Highland Oaks Elementary School website
- Camino Grove Elementary School website