Standard artwork (7-inch single pictured)
|Single by Kenny Loggins|
|from the album Footloose: Original Soundtrack of the Paramount Motion Picture|
|B-side||"Swear Your Love"|
|Released||January 11, 1984|
|Kenny Loggins singles chronology|
"Footloose" is a song co-written and recorded by American singer-songwriter Kenny Loggins. It was released in January 1984 as the first of two singles by Loggins from the 1984 film of the same name (the other one being "I'm Free (Heaven Helps the Man)"). The song spent three weeks at number one, March 31—April 14, 1984 on the US Billboard Hot 100, and was the first of two number-one hits from the film. Billboard ranked it at the No. 4 song for 1984.
The song was very well received, and is the most recognizable song recorded by Loggins. When the American Film Institute released its AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs, "Footloose" reached the 96th position. The song was covered by country music artist Blake Shelton for the 2011 remake of the 1984 film.
The single version is slightly shorter in length compared to the album version. It begins with a soloed guitar track instead of a drum intro, and features more prominent backing vocals in the mix, particularly towards the end of the song.
The music video was directed by Brian Grant. It uses the single version and features several scenes from the film, in particular the warehouse where Kevin Bacon's character performs an unorchestrated dance routine (which was actually performed to a different song in the film itself).
- Kenny Loggins – lead vocals
- Neil Larsen – keyboards
- Steve Larsen – keyboards
- Buzz Feiten – guitar
- Nathan East – bass guitar
- Michael Boddicker – synth bass, percussion
- Tris Imboden – drums
- Paulinho da Costa – percussion
- Marilyn Dorman, Richey Washington and Steve Wood – background vocalists
Charts and certifications
Blake Shelton version
|Song by Blake Shelton|
|from the album Footloose|
|Released||November 8, 2011|
Blake Shelton covered the song for the 2011 remake of the film. Shelton's version also appears on the film's soundtrack. It charted at number 63 on the US Billboard Hot Country Songs chart in November 2011. A music video for Shelton's version of the song, directed by Shaun Silva, premiered in October 2011.
The video opens with Blake Shelton driving a pickup truck into a drive-in theater screening the 2011 remake of the 1984 movie wherein the manager and ticket seller tells him that the film was only about to start. He then enters the compound where his band awaits him while the theater patrons watch the film and take notice of him. Shelton and his band begins to perform the song and the theater patrons join in dancing while scenes from the film are played. The music video was filmed in early-2011 at the Hi-Way 50 Drive In theater located in Lewisburg, Tennessee.
- Blake Shelton – vocals
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||59|
|Canada Country (Billboard)||35|
|US Billboard Hot 100||63|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||53|
|United States (RIAA)||Gold||500,000|
^ Shipments figures based on certification alone.
- Lecaro, Lina (November 19, 2016). "This Monthly Club Is a Non-Ironic Celebration of Rock's Softer Side". LA Weekly.
- Allmusic entry
- Billboard Year-End Hot 100 singles of 1984
- "National Recording Registry Reaches 500". Library of Congress. March 21, 2018. Retrieved March 21, 2018.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992. Australian Chart Book, St Ives, N.S.W. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- Belgian peak Archived 2012-04-09 at the Wayback Machine
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "musicline.de". Archived from the original on 2012-10-18. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- Italian peaks for 'Kenny Loggins'
- "Charts.nz – Kenny Loggins – Footloose". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "SA Charts 1965–March 1989". Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "Kenny Loggins Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 2 March 2018.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay Top 100. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- "Top 100 Singles of 1984 – Volume 41, No. 17, January 05 1985". RPM. Library and Archives Canada. Archived from the original on 2016-05-09. Retrieved July 12, 2017.
- "Top 20 Hit Singles of 1984". Retrieved 26 December 2018.
- "Billboard Hot 100 60th Anniversary Interactive Chart". Billboard. Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- "Italian single certifications – Kenny Loggins – Footloose" (in Italian). Federazione Industria Musicale Italiana. Retrieved December 9, 2019. Select "2019" in the "Anno" drop-down menu. Select "Footloose" in the "Filtra" field. Select "Singoli online" under "Sezione".
- "British single certifications – Kenny Loggins – Footloose". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- "American single certifications – Kenny Loggins – Footloose". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved December 12, 2018. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.
- "CMT : Videos : Blake Shelton : Footloose". Country Music Television. Retrieved October 8, 2011.
- "Blake Shelton Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved November 17, 2011.
- "Blake Shelton Chart History (Canada Country)". Billboard. Retrieved November 28, 2017.
- "Blake Shelton Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved November 17, 2011.
- "Blake Shelton Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved November 17, 2011.
- "American single certifications – Blake Shelton – Footloose". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.