Footy Classified logo
|Presented by||Craig Hutchison
(2007 – )
(2007 – )
(2013 – )
(2016 - )
(2007 – 2016)
|Country of origin||Australia|
|No. of seasons||8|
|Running time||60 minutes
|Original network||Nine Network|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)
|Original release||2 April 2007 – present|
|Related shows||The Footy Show, The Sunday Footy Show (AFL)|
Footy Classified (previously known under the working title Footy Confidential), is an Australian television program broadcast on the Nine Network which discusses pressing issues relating to AFL football. It debuted on Monday 2 April 2007. It currently features well known football analysis personalities Craig Hutchison, Damian Barrett, Matthew Lloyd and Caroline Wilson.
The show was originally known by the working title Footy Confidential, before Foxtel later announced a gossip news show it was producing called Confidential, causing Nine to rename the show to Footy Classified.
Footy Classified consists of four panellists: Craig Hutchison, Caroline Wilson, Garry Lyon and Matthew Lloyd. Following discussions on controversial events during the weekend of football, a special guest will arrive in the studio for an in-depth chat – usually a high-profile coach or player. During its first season, Wayne Carey was the fourth panellist but after personal life indiscretions was axed by Channel 9.
The show was known for its confrontations between Wayne Carey and Craig Hutchison, and between all panel members in general. One notable stoush consisted of Craig Hutchison making a sign for Wayne Carey to hold up saying that he was "wrong" regarding Dean Laidley (Carey had previously stated that he wanted Laidley sacked because his poor media manner meant that he was not diplomatic enough to lead the club, North Melbourne. The team responded by winning 4 consecutive games and, eventually by making the Preliminary Final).
Wayne Carey was sacked from the program and Channel Nine on 30 January 2008 after controversy surrounding his personal life emerged. He was replaced by recently retired ex-team mate Glenn Archer.
In March 2016, it was announced that Damian Barrett would join the panel on a full-time basis. He replaced Garry Lyon, who was addressing personal issues.
- Good Call, Bad Call – introduced in 2009, this popular segment involves one of the panelists making a statement, followed by another replying with either "Good Call" or "Bad Call", and then explaining why.
- Closing Cook – Garry Lyon criticises 'low profile' individuals involved in AFL for making small mistakes, or for other reasons. These may include timekeepers, members of the crowd etc.
- Caro's Arrow – this was introduced in 2011, following Craig Hutchison stating that Caroline Wilson demanded her own segment. Within it, she criticises 'high profile' individuals within the AFL administration, or AFL presidents like Eddie McGuire. The segment begins with an 'action hero' animation of Wilson, and ends when Garry Lyon pulls out and shoots an imaginary arrow.
- Current panellists:
- Former panellists:
- Guest panellists:
Timeslot and ratings
Footy Classified rarely dominates the hotly contested and lucrative 10:30 Monday night timeslot. After a rescheduling of programming in August 2009, this program now airs in Sydney and Brisbane at midnight on Tuesday.
While the show airs during the AFL premiership season, occasionally it may air outside of the football season in the event of major news.
- Geoff McClure, For Nine, it's still on with the show, The Age, 2 March 2007.
- TV Tonight, Footy Classified but not Confidential. March 2007
- TV Tonight, Ex-St Kilda coach joins Footy Classified, 22 December 2008.
- TV Tonight, Returning: Footy Classified, 18 March 2016.
- TV Tonight, Chris Judd becomes Footy Classified regular, 29 April 2016