For You (Bruce Springsteen song)
|Song by Bruce Springsteen from the album Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.|
|Released||January 5, 1973|
|Recorded||June 27, 1972
914 Sound Studios, Blauvelt, New York
|Producer||Mike Appel, Jim Cretecos|
|Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J. track listing|
"For You" is a song written and recorded by Bruce Springsteen in 1972 for his debut album Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J., released in 1973. It was later included on the compilation album The Essential Bruce Springsteen. The song has been covered by Manfred Mann's Earth Band, The Format, and Greg Kihn.
Lyrics and music
"For You" was recorded at 914 Sound Studios in Blauvelt, New York on June 27, 1972, the same day as the rest of the album except "Blinded by the Light" and "Spirit in the Night". Musicians participating in these sessions included future E Street Band members David Sancious, Garry Tallent and Vini Lopez. It is a climactic, percussion-driven song. Unlike many other songs on Springsteen's debut album, it takes the time to pace and build.
The lyrics are about a woman who has attempted suicide. She does not need the singer's "urgency" even though her life is "one long emergency" as Springsteen sings in the chorus (along with "and your cloud line urges me, and my electric surges free"). The singer is committed to doing anything to save her, and admires her ability to hang on. Once again, the lyrics are evocative of images and not details, and little can be said in description.
In many live concerts, including the critically acclaimed Hammersmith Odeon London '75, Bruce transformed the song into a tender piano ballad without accompaniment.
Like "Blinded By The Light" and "Spirit in the Night" (on The Roaring Silence), this song was covered by Manfred Mann's Earth Band for their album Chance. As with Manfred Mann Earth Band's previous Springsteen covers, they used a more forceful, rockier sound in "For You" than Springsteen did. The Earth Band version built from a more temperate beginning to an explosion of sound in the bridge, and incorporates five guitars and an impressive keyboard solo by Manfred Mann 3/4 of the way into the song. The song was also included on the compilation albums The Best of Manfred Mann's Earth Band and Blinded by the Light & Other Hits. However, the single release did not achieve the success of their other Springsteen covers.
The song was also covered by Greg Kihn on his 1977 album Greg Kihn Again. Kihn's cover received favorable comments from Springsteen. It was also included on the compilation album Best of Kihn.
In 2005 The Disco Boys produced a dance version of the song, sampling the Manfred Mann's Earth Band cover.
- Bruce Springsteen - vocals, guitar
- Vini "Mad Dog" Lopez - drums
- Garry Tallent - bass
- David Sancious - piano, keyboards
- Technical personnel
- Mike Appel - producer
- Jim Cretecos - producer
- Louis Lahav - recording engineer
- "BruceBase Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.". Retrieved 2015-05-10.
- Humphries, P. (1996). The Complete Guide to the Music of Bruce Springsteen. p. 6. ISBN 0-7119-5304-X.
- "For You Lyrics". Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- Sawyers, J. (2006). Tougher Than the Rest. pp. 8–9. ISBN 978-0-8256-3470-3.
- Rob Kirkpatrick (2007). The Words and Music of Bruce Springsteen. pp. 16–17. ISBN 0-275-98938-0.
- "For You". allmusic. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- "Greg Kihn Again". allmusic. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- "Best of Kihn". allmusic. Retrieved 2009-05-28.
- Lyrics and detailed info for various versions at SpringsteenLyrics.com
- Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics