For a Moment, Freedom
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|For a Moment Freedom|
|Directed by||Arash T. Riahi|
|Produced by||Veit Heiduschka, Michael Katz, Wega Film, Margaret Menegoz, Les Films du Losange|
|Written by||Arash T. Riahi|
|Edited by||Karina Ressler|
|Distributed by||Les Films du Losange|
For a Moment Freedom tells of the odyssey of three Iranians groups of refugees: a married couple with a child, two young men with two children, and two men who are friends despite the differences between them.
They have all managed to escape from Iran and Iraq, but now they are stuck in the Turkish capital; although freedom is at last almost within their grasp, first they have to wait in a dubious hotel, hoping each day that their applications for asylum will be approved. This enforced break in their journey towards independence is characterised by both hope and utter uncertainty.
The young Austrian-Iranian filmmaker Arash T. Riahi depicts the plight of people trying to flee their homeland and the curious, transitory state of asylum-seekers with tragic comedy and great suspense.
|Behi Djanati Ataï||Lale|
|Toufan Manoutcheri||Mother of Asy and Arman|
|Michael Niavarani||Father of Asy and Arman|
|Halilibrahim Sahin||Son of Ahmad|
- 2010 Tromsø International Film Festival's audience award
- Special Jury Award and Special Audience Award at 10° European Cinema Festival Lecce
- Grande Premio Ficcao - Grand Prize for Best Movie and Premio do Público Ficcao - Publics Prize at the Amazonas Filmfestival/Manaus Brasil 
- Mejor Guion - Best Screenplay at 2. Festival Internacional San Luis Cine/Argentinian 
- Prix du Jury Officiel - Main Award of the Jury, Prix du Jury étudiant - Student Award, Prix du Public - Publics Prize
For a Moment Freedom has won two more awards at the Festival du Cinéma Européen en Essonne in France. The film was awarded both the Public Award and the Student Award. This festival, which has been running for the last ten years, specializes in political films.
- Best Austrian film 2008 at Viennale 08-International Filmfestival - Vienna Film award
For a Moment Freedom won the Vienna Film Prize for the Best Austrian Film of the year at the 2008 Vienna Film Festival.
- Alain Poire Screenvision Award for Best Director
For a Moment Freedom was awarded the Golden Eye, the Award for the Best Debut Feature Film, at the 4th Zurich Film Festival by a jury headed by Peter Fonda. The Zurich Film Festival (ZFF) is one of the most important international festivals for young talent and is held annually in Zurich. The film festival is committed to promoting the works of young directors and screenwriters from all over the world.
At the renowned "A" festival, the World Film Festival in Montreal, For a Moment Freedom has won an award for the best debut feature film, the Golden Zenith for the Best First Fiction Feature Film 2008.
- 10° European Cinema Festival Lecce/Italy
- 5. Amazonas Filmfestival/Manaus Brasil
- 2. Festival Internacional San Luis Cine/Argentinian
- "On the basis of a majority decision the 2008 Vienna Film Prize is awarded to the feature film 'For a Moment Freedom' by Arash T. Riahi. The film deals with one of the oldest human longings - the desire for freedom, the desire to live in a better, more just place. The film produces unexpected images of freedom: a piece of paper with a visa, a smile before an execution, an embrace, a cooked swan. In a gripping juxtaposition of tragedy and humor the film succeeds in depicting the reality of people who are refugees. The film shows the happiness and unhappiness of its protagonists without changing its tone. We were impressed by the commanding narrative style as well as the performances of the actors and actresses. We would like to express our warmest congratulations to Arash T. Riahi and his team."
- The World Film Festival in Montreal Archived 7 February 2009 at the Wayback Machine