Forbes Field Air National Guard Base
|Forbes Field Air National Guard Base
Forbes Air Force Base
Topeka Army Airfield
|Part of Kansas Air National Guard (ANG)|
|Williamsport Township / Topeka Township, Shawnee County, near Topeka, Kansas|
KC-135 of the 190th Air Refueling Wing flying over the Kansas State Capitol, Topeka Kansas
|Type||Air National Guard Base|
|Controlled by||United States Air Force|
190th Air Refueling Wing
|IATA: FOE – ICAO: KFOE – FAA LID: FOE|
|Elevation AMSL||1,078 ft / 329 m|
Forbes Field, previously Forbes Air Force Base, is a joint-use civil-military airport operated by the Topeka Airport Authority located approximately 3 miles (4.8 km) south of Topeka, Kansas. Topeka Army Air Field was opened in 1942; unused for a period after the war; reactivated in 1948; renamed Forbes Air Force Base on June 10, 1949 or July 13, 1949; and redesignated a National Guard base in 1973.
Major commands to which assigned
- Second Air Force, 1942–1945
- Continental Air Forces, 1945–1947
- Air Material Command, 1947–1948; 1949–1951 (In inactive status)
- Strategic Air Command, 1948–1949; 1951–1964
- Tactical Air Command, 1964–1973
- Air National Guard, 1973 – present
- Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office 1961 (republished 1983, Office of Air Force History, ISBN 0-912799-02-1).
- Ravenstein, Charles A. Air Force Combat Wings Lineage and Honors Histories 1947–1977. Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama: Office of Air Force History 1984. ISBN 0-912799-12-9.
- Mueller, Robert, Air Force Bases Volume I, Active Air Force Bases Within the United States of America on 17 September 1982, Office of Air Force History, 1989