Forbes Fictional 15
The Forbes Fictional 15 was a list from Forbes business magazine that listed the 15 richest people in the realm of fiction produced between 2002 to 2013. The members are characters from movies, books, cartoons, television, video games, and comics.
To qualify for the list, members must be "both fictional (in the sense that we excluded mythological and folkloric figures) and characters (meaning they are part of a narrative story or series of stories)," in addition to being wealthy. The one exception to the rule was Santa Claus, a character whom Forbes decided to be an "irresistible" addition, although he has been absent from the list since 2006. Forbes stated, "We still estimate Claus's net worth as infinite, but we excluded him from this year's rankings after being bombarded by letters from outraged children insisting that Claus is real. We don't claim to have settled the ongoing controversy concerning Claus's existence, but after taking into account the physical evidence—toys delivered, milk and cookies devoured—we felt it was safer to remove him from consideration." After Claus was excluded, Scrooge McDuck became the wealthiest member due to being portrayed as having a tower vault full of gold.
The wealth of fictional characters under consideration for the list is calculated by combining the fictional source texts with real-world information about stock and commodity prices. As wealthy as the fictional characters on the list have been, their wealth has historically been exceeded by that of real-world billionaires such as Bill Gates and Carlos Slim.
- "Forbes' 'Fictional 15′ richest characters topped by Smaug". Good Morning America. ABC News. April 25, 2012. Archived from the original on 2017-09-05. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- Borges, Andre (October 12, 2013). "Bruce Wayne, Tony Stark, Christian Grey make it to the Forbes 15 richest fictional characters list". Entertainment News. Daily News and Analysis. Archived from the original on 2017-09-05. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- Polo, Susana (April 16, 2010). "Twilight vampire tops out the Forbes Fictional 15". The Mary Sue. Archived from the original on 2017-09-05. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- Pous, Terri (April 25, 2012). "Who is the richest fictional character? Fiction's 99% is reportedly pitching tents and rolling out the sleeping bags". Business. Time. Archived from the original on 2017-09-05. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- Roth, Sari (August 1, 2013). "Chris' List: Forbes' Fictional 15". Jansing and Company. MSNBC. Updated 2014-04-29. Archived from the original on 2017-09-05. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- "Scrooge McDuck tops Forbes 'Fictional 15′ wealthiest characters". Telegraph (UK). April 7, 2011. Archived from the original on 2017-09-05. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- The Film Theorists (2017-08-08), Film Theory: Scrooge McDuck's Net Worth SOLVED! (Disney's DuckTales), retrieved 2017-08-19