|Assembly||Canada: Oakville, Ontario (Oakville Assembly)|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Mid-size crossover SUV|
|Body style||5-door SUV|
|Layout||Transverse front-engine, front-wheel drive / all-wheel drive|
- 1 First generation (U387, 2006–2014)
- 2 Second generation (2015–present)
- 3 Yearly American sales
- 4 References
- 5 External links
First generation (U387, 2006–2014)
2011 - 2014 Ford Edge SEL AWD
|Body and chassis|
|Platform||Ford CD3 platform|
|Transmission||6-speed 6F50 automatic|
|Wheelbase||111.2 in (2,824 mm)|
|Height||67.0 in (1,702 mm)|
The SE includes cloth seats, single-zone manual air-conditioning, AM/FM stereo with single-disc CD/MP3 player, and 17" painted aluminum wheels.
The SEL includes unique cloth seats, 6-way power driver's seat, premium AM/FM stereo with 6-disc in-dash CD/MP3 player, leather-wrapped steering wheel with secondary audio controls, and 18" painted aluminum wheels.
The Limited includes leather-trimmed seats, and optionally, 6-way power front passenger fold-flat seat, EasyFold second-row seat back release, dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control, SYNC in-car connectivity system, and 18" premium chrome-clad aluminum wheels. The Limited trim level replaced the SEL Plus in 2008.
The Sport trim level debuted at the 2008 Chicago Auto Show, with sales beginning as a 2009 model. The trim level includes leather-trimmed with grey faux suede inserts, reclining 60/40 fold-flat seats with center fold-down armrest, second-row seat back release (marketed as EasyFold), premium AM/FM stereo with 6-disc in-dash CD/MP3 player, SYNC in-car connectivity system, larger diameter chrome exhaust tips, 20" premium chrome-clad aluminum wheels, all body-colored trim and optional 22-inch wheels.
|3,496 cc (213.3 cu in) Duratec 35 V6||2007-2009||265 bhp (198 kW)@6250||250 lb·ft (339 N·m)@4500|
|2010-2014||285 bhp (213 kW)@6500||253 lb·ft (343 N·m)@4000|
|3,721 cc (227.1 cu in) Duratec 37 V6||2011-2014||305 bhp (227 kW)@6250||280 lb·ft (380 N·m)@4500|
|1,999 cc (122.0 cu in) Ecoboost I4||2011-2014||240 bhp (180 kW)@5500||270 lb·ft (366 N·m)@1750–4500 rpm|
Safety equipment includes standard dual front airbags, front side-impact airbags, side curtain airbags, anti-lock brakes, traction control, electronic stability control, and a tire-pressure monitoring system.
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) 2011 Edge FWD Crash Ratings
- Ford Edge recognized as one of "Best Cars for Families" in 2007 by AAA and Parents Magazine.
- Edge earns IIHS "Top Safety Pick" rating for models built after January 2007
- 3.5L Duratec 35 V6 named one of the world's "10 Best Engines" by Ward.
- Ford Edge named "2007 Urban Truck of the Year" by On Wheels, Inc.
- Edge wins J.D. Power and Associates' 2007 "APEAL Award"
Ford Canada announced in June 2007, that a gasoline-electric hybrid version of the Edge will debut in the 2010 model year. The model is expected to use a new hybrid system from Ford, pairing an electric motor with a V6 engine.
Additionally, after public presentation in 2007, Ford has been carefully pointing at future production of its HySeries Edge. This is a hybrid electric vehicle that uses hydrogen fuel along with plug-in charging of its lithium-ion battery pack, for a combined range of over 320 kilometres (200 mi). The HySeries system was first introduced in the Ford Airstream concept from the 2007 Detroit Auto Show. A concept of the Ford Edge with the HySeries Drive was unveiled in the 2007 Washington DC Auto Show. The HySeries system is related to General Motors E-Flex platform. The E-Flex Platform was introduced in the 2007 Detroit Auto Show as the power train of the Chevrolet Volt concept.
This vehicle was featured in the James Bond film Quantum of Solace starring Daniel Craig as Bond, which was filmed in 2008. In 2002, starting with Die Another Day, (Pierce Brosnan as Bond) Ford and Eon Productions agreed to a three film contract to have their vehicles displayed and/or used in the Bond movies. After Quantum of Solace, their contract expired.
First generation facelift (2011–2014)
The facelifted Ford Edge was unveiled on February 12, 2010 at the 2010 Chicago Auto Show. Exterior changes include a new front fascia, wheels, and a revised bumper, while the revamped interior features upgraded materials and capacitive touch controls in place of some conventional buttons and switches, which can also be seen on the second-generation Lincoln MKX.
Three new engines are offered for the second generation: a 2.0L EcoBoost I4 engine, a 3.5L Duratec with Ti-VCT making 285 hp (213 kW) and 253 lb·ft (343 N·m) of torque, and for the Sport model, Ford will offer the same 3.7L Duratec engine that is offered in the 2011 Lincoln MKX with 305 hp (227 kW) and 280 lb·ft (380 N·m) of torque. The turbocharger in the new 2.0L engine is designed for 150,000 miles or 10 years.
In the American Range: The SE includes cloth-trimmed seats, single-zone manual air-conditioning, MyFord Touch with 4.2" color LCD displays in cluster and center stack with 5-way steering wheel controls, and 17-inch painted aluminum wheels.
The SEL includes everything in the SE plus unique cloth-trimmed seats, 6-way power driver's seat, dual-zone electronic automatic temperature controls (DEATC), leather-wrapped steering wheel with cruise control, 5-way switch pads and secondary audio controls, 18-inch painted aluminum wheels, reverse sensing system, and supplemental parking lamps.
The Limited includes everything in the SEL plus leather-trimmed seats, 10-way heated power driver's seat, Sony audio system with HD radio with 12 speakers in 10 locations, MyFord Touch with (2) driver configurable 4.2" color LCD displays in cluster and 8" color LCD display in center stack, Ford Sync including media hub with 2 USB ports, SD card reader and video input jacks, 18-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels with optional 20-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels, rear view camera, and 6-way heated power, fold-flat front passenger seat. In Israel this trim is called SEL Plus.
Limited options include HID headlamps, BLIS (Blind Spot Information System), and Adaptive Cruise Control.
The Sport includes the 3.7L Twin-independent Variable Cam Timing (Ti-VCT) V6 engine from the Mustang, 6-Speed SelectShift Automatic transmission with paddle activation, unique Charcoal Black leather-trimmed seats with Silver Smoke Metallic inserts, 22-inch polished aluminum wheel with Tuxedo Black spoke accents, body-color front and rear lower fascia, 4-inch chrome oval dual exhaust tips, and body-color side lower cladding and rocker molding.
Second generation (2015–present)
|This section requires expansion. (June 2014)|
2015 Ford Edge
|Body and chassis|
|Platform||Ford CD4 platform|
|Wheelbase||112.2 in (2,850 mm)|
|Length||188.1 in (4,778 mm)|
|Width||75.9 in (1,928 mm)|
|Height||68.6 in (1,742 mm)|
|Curb weight||3,912 lb (1,774 kg) (FWD)
4,060 lb (1,840 kg) (AWD)
For 2015, the Ford Edge is all-new from the ground-up with a new Taurus and Explorer-like grille, new headlights, LED combination taillights, increased interior room, and a rear-view camera. The new Edge now comes with a standard EcoBoost engine, the all-new 2.0-liter (only the displacement and bore-center spacing carry over) gets a new twin-scroll turbo to boost low end torque figures. Unlike the previous 2.0-liter EcoBoost, the new unit will have a towing capacity of 3500 pounds and will be available with all-wheel-drive. Mid spec engine is a 3.5-liter V-6, with slightly reduced power output. The highest engine in the range, powering Sport models, is the new 2.7-liter twin-turbo EcoBoost V-6.
For the first time, Ford will market the Edge in European markets (as part of the company's "One Ford" ideology); it is set to sit above the Ford Kuga. Gasoline engines will not be sold in Europe, instead this market will receive a pair of Turbo Charged Duratorq Diesel engines as used in other Ford Europe products such as the Ford Mondeo. Both engines will be mated to an All Wheel Drive system as standard, there is no option for two wheel drive. The two engines are rated at 180hp and 210hp. Which output the customer receives is entirely dependent on the transmission choice, with a 6-speed manual as standard mated to the 180hp unit. An automatic option is available, mated to the 210hp unit.
|Side Pole Driver:|
|Moderate overlap frontal offset||Good|
|Small overlap frontal offset (2015–present)||Acceptable1|
- 1 vehicle structure rated "Good"
- 2 strength-to-weight ratio: 5.11
|1,999 cc (122.0 cu in) Ecoboost I4||2015–||245 bhp (183 kW)@5500 rpm||275 lb·ft (373 N·m)@3000 rpm|
|3,496 cc (213.3 cu in) Duratec 35 V6||2015-||280 bhp (210 kW)@6500 rpm||250 lb·ft (339 N·m)@4000 rpm|
|2,720 cc (166 cu in) 2.7 Ecoboost V6||2015–||310 bhp (230 kW)@4750 rpm||350 lb·ft (475 N·m)@2750 rpm|
|2.0 L (120 cu in) Duratorq Diesel I4 (Europe)||2015–||180 bhp (130 kW)||295 lb·ft (400 N·m)||Only available with a Manual transmission|
|2.0 L (120 cu in) Duratorq Diesel I4 (Europe)||2015–||210 bhp (160 kW)||332 lb·ft (450 N·m)||Only available with an Automatic transmission|
Yearly American sales
|Calendar Year||Total American sales|
- "2009 Ford Edge Sport". Inside Line.
- "2012 Ford Edge | View Full Engine Specifications". Ford.com. Retrieved 2012-01-06.
- "Ford Edge Crash Test Ratings". NHTSA. Retrieved 2008-08-12.
- Van Alphen, Tony (2007-06-22). "Ford hybrid plans unclear after 2008". Toronto: The Star. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "Future Vehicles Preview". Inside Line.
- Litterick, David (August 16, 2008). "Quantum of Solace's James Bond goes green with golden Ka". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 2009-10-27.
- **TIME AGO**. "2011 Ford Edge and Edge Sport - Auto Shows - Auto Reviews". Car and Driver. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- "2011 Lincoln MKX and 2011 Ford Edge interiors revealed". egmCarTech. 2010-01-07. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- Paukert, Chris (2010-02-15). "2011 Ford Edge gets three engine choices, more ambitious Sport model — Autoblog". Autoblog.com. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- "MY2011 Ford Edge Features First North American Application of 2.0L EcoBoost, Two Ti-VCT Engines". GreenCarCongress. 2010-02-10.
- "2016 Ford Edge SUV AWD". National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- "2015 Ford Edge Midsize SUV". IIHS. Retrieved 30 September 2015.
- "Ford Motor Company 2007 sales". January 3, 2008.
- "F-Series drives ford to higher market share for third consecutive month" (PDF). Ford Motor Company. January 5, 2009. Retrieved 2009-05-14.
- "Ford caps 2009 with 33 percent sales increase, first full-year market share gain since 1995" (PDF). Ford Motor Company. January 5, 2010. Retrieved 2010-01-05.
- "Ford's 2010 sales up 19 percent". Media.ford.com. 2011-01-04. Retrieved 2011-10-07.
- "2011 Ford Brand Sales up 17 Percent for the Year in U.S." (PDF). Media.ford.com. 2012-01-04. Retrieved 2012-01-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ford Edge.|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ford Edge Hybrid.|
- New Ford Edge 2014-2015?
- Ford Edge Homepage
- Ford Edge Photos, Forums, and Documents
- 2007 Ford Edge Road Test Review
- Ford Edge 2011 Tech Review
|« previous - Ford Motor Company light truck timeline, United States & Canada, 1980s–present|
|Sport-utility vehicle||Compact||Bronco II||Bronco II|
|Mid-size||Explorer Sport Trac||Explorer Sport Trac|
|Full-size||F-Series (all)||F-Series (all)||F-Series (all)||F-150/F-250||F-150||F-150||F-150|
|SVT Lightning||SVT Lightning||SVT Raptor||Raptor|
|Super Duty||Super Duty||Super Duty||Super Duty|
|Van||Compact MPV||Transit Connect||Transit Connect|