Ford Thames 307E
1962 Thames 307E 5 cwt van
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||two-door panel van|
|Successor||Ford Escort Van|
The Thames 307E is a small panel van launched by Ford UK in June 1961  and based on the recently introduced Ford Anglia 105E. It replaced the Thames 300E and, like its predecessor  it was marketed as the Thames 5 cwt or the Thames 7 cwt van.  These names defined, in Imperial measurements, the recommended maximum load weights (equivalent to 250 and 350 kg respectively) of the vehicles. Advertised load space was 73 cubic feet (2,100 L) including 12 cubic feet (340 L) beside the driver.
The vans were introduced with a specially developed "commercial version" of the Anglia 105E engine, applying a compression ratio of 7.5:1 or, as an option, 8.9:1. The four speed gear box also came from the latest Anglia. The 5 and 7 cwt versions could be distinguished from the front by differing grill treatments. The base version had a grill of painted horizontal slats similar to that on the basic Anglia while the 7 cwt featured a full-width bright-meshed metal grill reminiscent of the Anglia deluxe.
From October 1962 the 5cwt and 7cwt vans were also offered with the 1198cc engine from the Ford Anglia Super and these were designated as Thames 309E. Left hand drive export versions of the 309E were designated Thames 310E.
Ford Anglia Van
In March 1965 the use of the Thames name was discontinued and from that time Anglia-based vans were marketed as Ford Anglia Vans.
Production ended in November 1967 with a total of 205,001 vans having been produced.
- Michael Allen & Les Geary, The Illustrated History of Ford Vans, Trucks and PSVs, page 132
- Sales brochure for "The 5 and 7 cwt Thames vans", web.archive.org
- "New Versions of Ford Van" - Glasgow Herald - 7th June 1961, www.anglia-models.co.uk Retrieved 14 November 2016
- Sales brochure for "New Thames 5 and 7 CWT Vans, web.archive.org
- "News summary: New from Ford". Practical Motorist. 7. (nbr 84): 1309. August 1961.
- Ford Anglia - Designations, www.anglia-models.co.uk Retrieved 26 June 2015
- Ford Anglia 307E Van - Brochures, www.anglia-models.co.uk Retrieved 26 June 2015
- Ford Anglia 307E Van, www.anglia-models.co.uk Retrieved 26 June 2015
|This article related to a type of van is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|