||This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the Persian Wikipedia. (January 2012)|
|Time zone||IRST (UTC+3:30)|
|• Summer (DST)||IRDT (UTC+4:30)|
Fordo (Persian: فردو is a village in Fordo Rural District, Kahak District, Qom County, Qom Province, Iran. It is located near the Shia holy city of Qom. At the 2006 census, its population was 732, in 230 families.
Fordu, Fordo, Furdu or Fardu a village with more than 100 houses. Headwaters of the Furdu river. Kuhistan subdivision of Qom. Fordo is 26 miles to the south of Qom. Fordo is situated in a deep glen between Hasan Aqa and Furdu peaks. Fordo's sheep are celebrated for their milk.
In September 2009, it was revealed that Iran had a second uranium enrichment plant near the village of Fordo, that was carved into a mountainside south of Tehran. Google Maps satellite images for the Fordo site can be found at coordinates 34.885649,50.99669. Images zoomed to the 20 meter level show a large double fence perimeter border erected around the site with towers located every 25 meters. Six 10 meter wide entry portals to the underground complex are located within the fenced area, as well as several buildings, the largest of which is approximately 5500 square meters.
- Fordo can be found at GEOnet Names Server, at this link, by opening the Advanced Search box, entering "-3062691" in the "Unique Feature Id" form, and clicking on "Search Database".
- Iran: The Nuclear Question, The New York Times
- آژانس: نمیتوانیم صلحآمیز بودن برنامه اتمی ایران را تائید کنیم, BBC Persian
- "Census of the Islamic Republic of Iran, 1385 (2006)" (Excel). Islamic Republic of Iran. Archived from the original on 2011-11-11.
- UN inspectors visit uranium enrichment facility in Iran, The Guardian
- Iran ready to co-operate on nuclear programme, says Ahmadinejad, The Guardian
|This Qom province location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|