The historic Fordyce Home Accident Insurance Company building in downtown Fordyce, 2007
Location of Fordyce in Dallas County, Arkansas.
|• Total||6.76 sq mi (17.51 km2)|
|• Land||6.76 sq mi (17.51 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||285 ft (87 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||3,955|
|• Density||584.97/sq mi (225.88/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0049160|
Fordyce is located in southeastern Dallas County, with the city's southern border following the Calhoun County line. U.S. Routes 79 and 167 bypass the city center to the north and west, while Arkansas Highway 8 passes through the downtown area. US 79 leads northeast 42 miles (68 km) to Pine Bluff and southwest 31 miles (50 km) to Camden, while US 167 leads north 35 miles (56 km) to Sheridan and south 51 miles (82 km) to El Dorado. AR 8 leads southeast 26 miles (42 km) to Warren and northwest 49 miles (79 km) to Arkadelphia.
As of the 2010 United States Census, there were 4,300 people residing in the city. The racial makeup of the city was 53.3% Black, 42.0% White, 0.5% Native American, 0.2% Asian, <0.1% Pacific Islander, 0.1% from some other race and 1.1% from two or more races. 2.6% were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,799 people, 1,737 households, and 1,186 families residing in the city. The population density was 727.8 people per square mile (281.2/km²). There were 2,024 housing units at an average density of 307 square miles (800 km2). The racial makeup of the city was 48.61% White, 49.66% Black or African American, 0.19% Native American, 0.42% Asian, 0.75% from other races, and 0.38% from two or more races. 1.19% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,737 households out of which 32.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.4% were married couples living together, 17.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.7% were non-families. 28.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 13.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.51 and the average family size was 3.09.
In the city, the population was spread out with 28.5% under the age of 18, 8.9% from 18 to 24, 25.3% from 25 to 44, 21.0% from 45 to 64, and 16.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 90.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.1 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $23,297, and the median income for a family was $30,120. Males had a median income of $24,971 versus $15,553 for females. The per capita income for the city was $12,118. About 16.2% of families and 22.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 27.2% of those under age 18 and 19.3% of those age 65 or over.
- Anderson W. Atkinson, U.S. Air Force general
- Jim Benton, pro football star in 1940s
- Paul "Bear" Bryant, iconic coach in College Football Hall of Fame, attended Fordyce High School
- Cory Carr (born 1975), American-Israeli basketball player for Israeli team Elitzur Ramla B.C.
- James Hal Cone, theologian
- Scott Hutchins, author
- Raylee Johnson, NFL player, defensive end for San Diego Chargers
- Larry Lacewell, college football coach and director of scouting for Dallas Cowboys
- Red Parker, college football coach
- Ray Phillips, NFL player, linebacker for Cincinnati Bengals and Philadelphia Eagles
- Ray E. Porter, World War II general who won Purple Heart and Legion of Merit
- John Thach, World War II naval aviator, later promoted to admiral
- Kevin Williams, NFL Pro Bowl defensive tackle for Minnesota Vikings
- W. Randolph "Randy" Woodson, chancellor, North Carolina State University
- Robin F. Wynne, associate justice, Supreme Court of Arkansas
- First Step, Inc.
- Fordyce School District
- ITW Shippers Dunnage bag plant
- Lyon Folder Company
- Millcreek of Arkansas
- Transitech, Inc.
- Walmart Stores
- Gentle Touch
- Havoc Boats
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 18, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Fordyce city". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved October 9, 2015.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Archived from the original on 2015-05-10. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- Samuel Wesley Fordyce in The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014". Archived from the original on May 22, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- http://www.fordycearkansas.org/business/topemp.html[dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fordyce, Arkansas.|