Foreign Policy Research Institute
|Type||Public policy think tank|
|Headquarters||1528 Walnut St, Ste 610|
|Carol Rollie Flynn|
The Foreign Policy Research Institute (FPRI) is an American think tank based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, that conducts research on geopolitics, international relations, and international security in the various regions of the world as well as on ethnic conflict, U.S. national security, terrorism, and on think tanks themselves. It publishes a quarterly journal, Orbis, as well as a series of monographs, books, and electronic newsletters.
FPRI was founded by Ambassador Robert Strausz-Hupé, a Vienna native who immigrated to the United States in 1923. Dissatisfied with the containment strategy of John Foster Dulles and the Eisenhower administration's foreign policy in general, Strausz-Hupé founded FPRI in 1955 with support from the University of Pennsylvania and the Smith Richardson Foundation. In 1957 publication commenced of the institute's quarterly, Orbis.
Since the end of the Cold War the institute has focused on education in international affairs, sponsoring various programs in Philadelphia area schools as well as conferences and seminars for high school and junior college teachers and lectures for the general public. The U.S.-led War on Terrorism is also a central topic of FPRI research.
Within the FPRI are the following programs: the Program on National Security (chaired by John Lehman); the Asia Program (directed by Jacques deLisle); the Program on the Middle East (directed by Aaron Stein); the Eurasia Program (co-directed by Chris Miller and Maia Otarashvili); the Center for Study of America and the West (founded in 1997, directed by Ronald J. Granieri, and chaired by Walter A. McDougall); and the Africa Program (chaired by Charles A. Ray).
Board of Trustees
As of 2021, the Board of Trustees also includes:
- Robert Freedman, Chairman
- Dov S. Zakheim, Vice-Chair
- Devon Cross, Vice-Chair
- Adrian A. Basora
- Larry Ceisler
- John Hillen
- Charles A. Ray
|Funding details as of 2019:||
- Orbis ISSN 0030-4387
- e-notes : a catalyst for ideas OCLC 303405690
- Foreign Policy Research Institute footnotes OCLC 58531019
- Foreign Policy Research Institute wire
- "Foreign Policy Research Institute" (PDF). Foundation Center. Retrieved 24 February 2021.
- "Program on National Security". Foreign Research Policy Institute. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- "Affiliated Staff & Scholars". Foreign Policy Research Institute. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- "The Asia Program". Foreign Policy Research Institute. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "FPRI Names Aaron Stein Next Middle East Director". Foreign Policy Research Institute. Retrieved 1 March 2019.
- "Eurasia Program". Foreign Policy Research Institute. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- "Center for the Study of America and the West". Foreign Policy Research Institute. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Think Tanks and Foreign Policy Program". Foreign Policy Research Institute. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Board of Trustees". Foreign Policy Research Institute. Retrieved 17 March 2021.