Forest Lawn, Calgary
Amalgamated (Albert Park)
|July 4, 1934
August 1, 1935
|Annexed (by Calgary)||December 30, 1961|
|• Mayor||Naheed Nenshi|
|• Administrative body||Calgary City Council|
|• Councillor||Andre Chabot|
|Elevation||1,060 m (3,480 ft)|
|• Average Income||$40,396|
|Postal code span||T2A-T2B|
|Website||Forest Lawn Community Association|
Forest Lawn is a neighbourhood and former town in the southeast quadrant of the City of Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The neighbourhood is bound by 26 Avenue SE to the south, 36 Street SE to the west, 8 Avenue SE to the north and portions of 52 Street SE and 48 Street SE to the east. The former town comprises the entire current Forest Lawn neighbourhood as well as portions of Southview and Albert Park/Radisson Heights to the west, and portions of Penbrooke Meadows and Forest Lawn Industrial to the east. Both the neighbourhood and the former town are bisected by the multicultural International Avenue (17 Avenue SE). Forest Lawn has an area redevelopment plan in place.
The community is represented in the Calgary City Council by the Ward 10 councillor. On a federal level, Forest Lawn falls in the electoral district of Calgary East and is represented in the House of Commons by MP Deepak Obhrai.
The area was first settled in the early 1900s. Originally part of the Municipal District of Shepard No. 220, Forest Lawn and nearby Albert Park incorporated as villages on July 4, 1934. Forest Lawn and Albert Park amalgamated just over a year later on August 1, 1935 under the name of the Village of Forest Lawn. In 1952, Forest Lawn was incorporated as the Town of Forest Lawn and pursued city status in 1958 although the application was never carried through. The town was subsequently annexed by the City of Calgary on December 30, 1961, along with parts of the municipal districts of Rocky View No. 44 and Foothills No. 31.
In the City of Calgary's 2012 municipal census, Forest Lawn had a population of  With a land area of 2.3 km2 (0.89 sq mi), it had a population density of 3,260/km2 (8,430/sq mi) in 2012. Also in the 2012 municipal census, Forest Heights had a population of 6,212 living in 2,221 dwellings, a 0.4% increase from its 2011 population of 6,185. With a land area of 1.5 km2 (0.58 sq mi), it had a population density of 4,140/km2 (10,700/sq mi) in 2012.7,487 living in 3,352 dwellings, a 2.4% increase from its 2011 population of 7,313.
Residents in this community had a median household income of $40,396 in 2000, and there were 27.5% low income residents living in the neighbourhood. As of 2000, 18.6% of the residents were immigrants. A proportion of 29.4% of the buildings were condominiums or apartments, and 57.7% of the housing was used for renting.
The community is served by Forest Lawn Senior High, Jack James Senior High, Ian Bazalgette Junior High, Ernest Morrow Junior High, Patrick Airlie Elementary public schools, as well as Holy Trinity Elementary (Catholic).
Forest Lawn Industrial
The neighbourhood of Forest Lawn Industrial is established south of International Avenue, and east of 48 St SE, between Elliston Park and 48 St SE.
In the City of Calgary's 2012 municipal census, Forest Lawn Industrial had a population of  With a land area of 1.5 km2 (0.58 sq mi), it had a population density of 87/km2 (224/sq mi) in 2012.130 living in 63 dwellings, an 8.3% increase from its 2011 population of 120.
This area is served by two recreational pools. The Bob Bahan Aquatic and Fitness Centre, opened October 1974 and named after a community member of outstanding record, offers a number of registered and drop-in fitness classes, programs and lessons, both in the pool and on dry land. The Forest Lawn Outdoor Pool is operated by the community association.
- "History". International Avenue Business Revitalization Zone. Retrieved October 12, 2013.
- "Table 6a: Population by census divisions and subdivisions showing reorganization of rural areas, 1931-1946". Census of the Prairie Provinces, 1946. Volume I: Population. Ottawa: Dominion Bureau of Statistics. 1949. p. 420.
- "Footnotes: Alberta (Division No. 6)". 1971 Census of Canada. Volume I: Population, Census Subdivisions (Historical). Ottawa: Statistics Canada. 1973. p. 2.147.
- "Calgary Elections". City of Calgary. October 21, 2013. Retrieved October 22, 2013.
- City of Calgary (2006). "Forest Lawn Community Statistics" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-05-11.
- City of Calgary Planning (2005). "Forest Lawn Area Redevelopment Plan" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-05-11.
- "Table 4: Population in incorporated cities, towns and villages, 1901-1936". Census of the Prairie Provinces, 1936. Volume I: Population and Agriculture. Ottawa: Dominion Bureau of Statistics. 1938. p. 833-836.
- "Table 10: Population by census subdivisions, 1871–1941". Eighth Census of Canada, 1941. Volume II: Population by Local Subdivisions. Ottawa: Dominion Bureau of Statistics. 1944. p. 134-141.
- "Table 6: Population by census subdivisions, 1871–1951". Ninth Census of Canada, 1951. Volume I: Population, General Characteristics. Ottawa: Dominion Bureau of Statistics. 1953. p. 6.73-6.83.
- "Table 6: Population by sex, for census subdivisions, 1956 and 1951". Census of Canada, 1956. Population, Counties and Subdivisions. Ottawa: Dominion Bureau of Statistics. 1957. p. 6.50-6.53.
- "Table 6: Population by census subdivisions, 1901–1961". 1961 Census of Canada. Series 1.1: Historical, 1901–1961. Volume I: Population. Ottawa: Dominion Bureau of Statistics. 1963. p. 6.77-6.83.
- "2012 Civic Census Results" (PDF). City of Calgary. 2012. Retrieved February 4, 2013.
- "Community Boundaries" (Esri shapefile). City of Calgary. Retrieved February 5, 2013.
- City of Calgary (2004). "Ward 10 Profile" (PDF)., "Ward 9 Profile" (PDF). Retrieved 2007-05-11.
Cite error: Invalid
<ref> tag; name "1946census" defined multiple times with different content
- Forest Lawn Community Associations
- International Avenue BRZ
- Bob Bahan Aquatic & Fitness Centre
- Calgary Police. "Forest Lawn Crime statistics". Archived from the original on 2007-09-28. Retrieved 2007-05-01.
||Marlborough||Forest Heights||Marlborough Park|
|Albert Park-Radisson Heights||Penbrooke Meadows|
|Southview||Dover||Forest Lawn Industrial|