Forest Hill, Louisiana
|Forest Hill, Louisiana|
Location of Forest Hill in Rapides Parish, Louisiana.
Location of Louisiana in the United States
|• Total||3.27 sq mi (8.48 km2)|
|• Land||3.24 sq mi (8.39 km2)|
|• Water||0.04 sq mi (0.09 km2)|
|Elevation||167 ft (51 m)|
|• Estimate (2016)||803|
|• Density||247.99/sq mi (95.74/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
Forest Hill is located at (31.043389, -92.530698).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2), of which 3.2 square miles (8.3 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (1.56%) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 813 people, 367 households, and 245 families residing in the village. The population density was 258 inhabitants per square mile (55.9/km²). There were 282 housing units at an average density of 82.4 per square mile (22.3/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 52.0% White, 3.52% African American, 0.44% Native American, 1.40% Asian, 6.36% from other races, and 1.68% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 42.98% of the population.
There were 167 households out of which 35.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.3% were married couples living together, 7.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.6% were non-families. 18.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.73 and the average family size was 3.13.
In the village, the population was spread out with 24.8% under the age of 18, 10.5% from 18 to 24, 27.2% from 25 to 44, 24.6% from 45 to 64, and 12.9% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 34 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.8 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $36,667, and the median income for a family was $42,292. Males had a median income of $27,500 versus $16,875 for females. The per capita income for the village was $13,859. About 18.0% of families and 25.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 18.5% of those under age 18 and 14.0% of those age 65 or over.
Arts and culture
Every year, during the third weekend of March, Forest Hill is home to the Louisiana Nursery Festival. It is the village's yearly attraction and brings in thousands of people each day to see the many floral, artistic, and amusement booths.
Forest Hill is home to over 60 plant nurseries, and is one of Louisiana's oldest and largest nursery regions. Businesses routinely visit Forest Hill to purchase wholesale plants.
Cajun Classic National Enduro
The Cajun Classic National Enduro is an enduro race that is held in the Calcasieu District in Kisatchie National Forest. The 29th Annual was held March 20, 2011. It was organized and run by the National Enduro Promotions Group and Acadiana Dirt Riders, Inc.
- Robert W. Bates, agent of the United States Secret Service from 1965 to 1976
- Jay Chevalier, singer and politician, born in Forest Hill in 1936
- Clyde C. Holloway, Republican former U.S. representative from defunct Eighth Congressional District and current member of the Louisiana Public Service Commission.
- Kimberly Willis Holt, children's author
- George B. Mowad, mayor of Oakdale, Louisiana, from 1972 to 1992, was killed in an automobile accident on U.S. Route 165 near Forest Hill.
- "2016 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Jul 2, 2017.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.