Forest Hills, Michigan
Forest Hills, Michigan
|• Total||50.80 sq mi (131.58 km2)|
|• Land||49.27 sq mi (127.61 km2)|
|• Water||1.53 sq mi (3.97 km2)|
|Elevation||630 ft (192 m)|
|• Density||525/sq mi (202.7/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||1867318|
Forest Hills is an unincorporated community in Kent County in the U.S. state of Michigan. It is a census-designated place (CDP) for statistical purposes. The population was 25,867 at the 2010 census, up from 20,942 at the 2000 census.
The Forest Hills CDP encompasses nearly all of Ada Township except the northeast corner and most of the northern half of Cascade Township. The CDP includes most of the area served by the Forest Hills Public Schools District.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 50.8 square miles (131.6 km2), of which 49.3 square miles (127.6 km2) are land and 1.5 square miles (4.0 km2), or 3.01%, are water. The Grand River crosses the community from the east side to the northwest corner.
As of the census of 2000, there were 20,942 people, 7,105 households, and 6,046 families residing in the community. The population density was 424.0 per square mile (163.7/km2). There were 7,371 housing units at an average density of 149.3 per square mile (57.6/km2). The racial makeup of the community was 95.28% White, 0.64% African American, 0.20% Native American, 2.63% Asian, 0.34% from other races, and 0.91% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.95% of the population.
There were 7,105 households, out of which 44.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 78.6% were married couples living together, 4.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 14.9% were non-families. 12.7% of all households were made up of individuals, and 4.9% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.94 and the average family size was 3.23.
In the community, the population was spread out, with 31.4% under the age of 18, 4.9% from 18 to 24, 25.6% from 25 to 44, 29.4% from 45 to 64, and 8.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 39 years. For every 100 females, there were 99.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 96.1 males.
The median income for a household in the community was $96,150 (2007 estimate), and the median income for a family was $106,521. Males had a median income of $68,003 versus $37,553 for females. The per capita income for the community was $39,517. About 1.3% of families and 2.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 1.7% of those under age 18 and 3.9% of those age 65 or over.
The median house value was $212,600 (year 2000).
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001), Forest Hills CDP, Michigan". American FactFinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on February 13, 2020. Retrieved March 19, 2019. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Forest Hills CDP, Michigan - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- Forest Hills Public Schools District Map[permanent dead link]
- 2005-2007 American Community Survey 3-Year Estimates, United States Census Bureau