Forest Hills (Tampa)
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
Forest Hills is a neighborhood partially within the city limits of Tampa, Florida, United States, with the northern portion located in unincorporated Hillsborough County near Lake Magdalene. In 1926 a golf course and club house was built there. In 1949, "Babe" Zaharias bought the clubhouse and golf course, and may have lived in the clubhouse for a time. She moved to a house nearby in 1954. In 1956, she died of cancer in Galveston, Texas and the course closed.
The area was mainly a citrus grove until residential development began in the 1950s and 1960s. A developer from Miami wanted to buy the golf course land, but the City of Tampa decided to buy it and restore it. In 1974 the course was reopened. Since then it has been renovated, the courses were rebuilt and an irrigation system added.
Forest Hills still contains the golf course named after Babe Zaharias, a public golf course owned by City of Tampa. The neighborhood has its branch post office with a ZIP Code of 33612. The population was 4,734 at the 2000 census.
The neighborhood was designed in 1926 along with the golf course (originally called "Golfland Country Club") and remains to this day largely as designed back then.
The schools serving this area are as follows:
- Forest Hills Elementary
- Lake Magdalene Elementary
- Adams Middle School
- Chamberlain High School
- "Babe Zaharias Golf Course History". Archived from the original on 2007-02-02. Retrieved 2007-03-25.
- Population by Neighborhood Hillsborough County 2000 Census Count
- "GOLFLAND OF TAMPAS NORTH SIDE COUNTRY CLUB AREA UNIT 2". Hillsborough County Public Records. Clerk of the Circuit Court, Hillsborough County. April 20, 1926. Retrieved 12 February 2013.
- Babe Zaharias Golf Course Website
- Babe Zaharias Golf Course in Tampa, Florida brings back plenty of memories
|This Tampa-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Hillsborough County, Florida location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|