Forget Baghdad: Jews and Arabs – The Iraqi Connection
|Forget Baghdad: Jews and Arabs – The Iraqi Connection|
|Music by||Rabih Abou-Khalil|
Dschoint Ventschr Filmproduktion AG
|Distributed by||Arab Film Distribution|
Forget Baghdad: Jews and Arabs – The Iraqi Connection is a 2002 documentary film about the Mizrahim, or Jewish community of Iraq. It was written and directed by Samir, an Iraqi born in Baghdad in 1955 and living since 1961 in Switzerland.
The film was a coproduction between TagTraum Cologne, Gerd Haag, SF DRS, Teleclub, and Dschoint Ventschr Filmproduktion. It is 112 minutes in length.
The DVD, which is distributed by Arab Film Distribution, comes with a 30-minute "Making of the film" featurette. The DVD has multiple audio tracks and subtitles in English, German, French, Arabic, Hebrew, Italian, and Spanish.
- A fascinating but disorganized documentary.
– Stephen Holden, The New York Times, December 4, 2003
- Grainy video and gimmicky editing give this documentary an amateurish feel, but Samir's charming, rueful interlocutors shine through.
– Anya Kamenetz, Village Voice, December 2, 2003
- Samir's presentation is uninspired and too long. It's outdated, too.
– V.A. Musetto, New York Post, December 5, 2003
- Explores identity, but words get in the way.
– Michael O'Sullivan, The Washington Post, April 16, 2004
- Timely and thought-provoking, if a bit rambling.
– Deborah Young, Variety, December 23, 2003
- Official website
- Forget Baghdad: Jews and Arabs – The Iraqi Connection on IMDb
- Forget Baghdad: Jews and Arabs – The Iraqi Connection at Rotten Tomatoes
- Forget Baghdad (2002) – Film Review; Born in Iraq, Living in Israel, Pondering Issues of Identity, by Stephen Holden, 12/5/03, at the New York Times web (nytimes.com)
- Film: Forget Baghdad, Directed by Samir, by Anya Kamenetz, Village Voice, 12/2/03
- Operation Iraqi Boredom, by V.A. Musetto, New York Post, 12/5/03
- Film Explores Identity, But Words Get in the Way, by Michael O'Sullivan, Washington Post, 4/16/04
- Review: ‘Forget Baghdad — Jews and Arabs: The Iraqi Connection’, by Deborah Young, Variety, 12/23/03
|This Baghdad-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a religion-related documentary film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to Jewish history is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Iraqi history-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|