|Look up formalism or formalist in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Formalism may refer to:
- Form (disambiguation)
- Formal (disambiguation)
- Legal formalism, legal positivist view that the substantive justice of a law is a question for the legislature rather than the judiciary
- Mathematical formalism
- Formalism (linguistics)
- Scientific formalism
- Formalism (philosophy), that there is no transcendent meaning to a discipline other than the literal content created by a practitioner
- Religious formalism, an emphasis on the ritual and observance of religion, rather than its meaning.
- Formalism (mathematics), that statements of mathematics and logic can be thought of as statements about the consequences of certain string manipulation rules.
- Formalism (art), that a work's artistic value is entirely determined by its form
- Formalism (music)
- Formalist film theory, focused on the formal, or technical, elements of a film
- Formalism (literature)
- New Formalism (architecture), a mid-20th century architectural style, sometimes abbreviated to Formalism
- Russian formalism, school of literary criticism in Russia from the 1910s to the 1930s
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Formalism.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.