|Look up Formosa in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Formosa is a former name for the island of Taiwan.
Formosa may also refer to :
Places and jurisdictions
- Ilha Formosa, literally "Beautiful Island", Portuguese colonial-age name for the island of Taiwan
- Republic of Formosa, a short-lived republic in 1895 on the island of Formosa (also known as Taiwan)
- Dutch Formosa, the period of colonial Dutch government on Formosa (Taiwan), lasting from 1624 to 1662
- Spanish Formosa, a Spanish colony established in the north of Taiwan from 1626 to 1642
- Taiwan under Japanese rule, 1895 to 1945
- Formosa Strait, another name for the Taiwan Strait
- Mount Formosa, a colonial-era name to a group of contiguous hills near Kanhangad, Kerala, India
- Ria Formosa, meaning "beautiful river", a long-shore estuary on the Algarve
- Formosa Province, Argentina
- Formosa, Goiás, Brazil (near Brasília in Goiás State)
- Diocese of Formosa, Brazil, Roman Catholic Diocese in Brazil (formerly a Territorial Prelature)
- Bioko island, Equatorial Guinea, was named "Formosa" by explorer Fernão do Pó.
- Formosa (Guinea-Bissau), one of the Bissagos Islands, Guinea-Bissau
- A township on the Northern outskirts of Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
- Formosa Bay, or Bahia Formosa, an earlier name for the bay now known as Plettenberg Bay, South Africa
- Formosa Peak, or Peak Formosa, altitude 1675m, the highest point in the Tsitsikamma Mountains, South Africa
- The eastern city of Formosa is the home of Madame Tang and her dragon in the video game Pirates of the Caribbean: The Legend of Jack Sparrow based on the Disney films
- Formosa may also refer to a fictional country located on the island of Taiwan, but whose culture was invented by George Psalmanazar as a hoax.
- Formosa (surname), a surname common in Malta, Spain, Portugal and other Mediterranean countries
- Formosa (grape), a Portuguese wine grape
- Amanita muscaria var. formosa, a variety of the fly agaric mushroom
- Formosa (film), a 2005 comedy
- Formosa Cafe, a famous restaurant in Hollywood, California
- Ric Formosa, an Australian composer and musician
- Bosque Formosa Esporte Clube, a Brazilian football (soccer) club
- Formoza, Polish military unit
- Formosan (disambiguation)
- Formoso (disambiguation)
- A Famosa, a colonial fortress in Malacca, Malaysia; controlled by Portugal (1511–1641), Netherlands (1641–1795), Britain (1795–1807)
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Formosa.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.