Downtown Forney, Texas
|Nickname(s): City Without Limits, Antique Capital of Texas|
Location of Forney in Kaufman County, Texas
|• City Council||
Mayor Rick Wilson |
|• City Manager||Wendle Medford(Interim)|
|• Total||14.95 sq mi (20.3 km2)|
|• Land||14.95 sq mi (20.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||472 ft (144 m)|
|Time zone||CST (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Area code(s)||972 469|
|GNIS feature ID||1336039|
Forney is a city in Kaufman County, Texas, United States and has been named by the Texas legislature as the "Antique Capital of Texas". It is part of the Dallas–Fort Worth metroplex. Its population was 14,661 at the 2010 census.
Forney is located at 32°45'5" North, 96°28'2" West (32.751521, -96.467225).
Forney is approximately four miles southeast of Lake Ray Hubbard, which was formerly known as Forney Lake.
On April 3, 2012, an EF-3 tornado struck the city as part of the tornado outbreak of the same date. Several homes were completely destroyed, and many others were severely damaged in the Diamond Creek subdivision. The tornado caused significant roof damage to Crosby Elementary School in Forney. A car in the parking lot of the school was tossed about 300 yards and found in a field. Less severe damage was reported in downtown Forney and to a dry cleaning business. Despite the severe damage, no deaths occurred. However, seven people sustained injuries from the tornado. No deaths were reported from either the Forney tornado or any other tornado that day.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 14,661 people, 4,784 households. There were 4,985 housing units.. The racial makeup of the city was 11,841 White (80.8%), 1,463 African American (10%), 108 Native American (0.7%), 157 Asian (1.1%), 3 Pacific Islander (0.0%), 760 from other races (5.2%), and 329 (2.2%) from two or more races. 2,342 (16%) of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
The Forney Independent School District serves Forney, Talty, an annex of Mesquite, and part of the community of Heartland. Forney is served by several elementary schools, Warren Middle School, Brown Middle School, Forney High School, and North Forney High School. In 2010, the district received an academic rating of "Exemplary" based on the test results of the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS). The district also has an eBook program, where students in high school, middle school, and elementary school beginning in the fifth grade are provided with a laptop for schoolwork.
- Darlene Cates - actress
- Tex Erwin - professional baseball player
- Evan Gattis - professional baseball player, Houston Astros
- Caleb Hanie - professional football player
- William Madison McDonald - politician, educator, businessman
- John Wiley Price - Dallas County commissioner
- Don Willett - Associate justice of Texas Supreme Court
- Josh Geer - professional baseball player, San Diego Padres
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Forney has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
- "State and County Quick Facts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 26 March 2012.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
-  Retrieved 3 April 2012.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "Forney city, Texas Demographic Profile". United States Census Bureau.
- Climate Summary for Forney, Texas
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Forney, Texas.|
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Forney.|
- Official City of Forney
- Forney Chamber of Commerce
- Forney Historic Preservation League & Spellman Museum of Forney History
- Forney ISD
- Forney Economic Development Corporation
- Online Local News, Sports, Discussion Boards, Online Business Directory, and Event Calendar in Forney, Texas
- 2005 Current Population Estimates
- Forney entry in Handbook of Texas Online