Forrest City High School
|Forrest City High School|
|467 Victoria Street
Forrest City, Arkansas 72335
|School district||Forrest City School District|
|NCES District ID||0506270|
|NCES School ID||050627000344|
|Principal||Osceola "Sonny" Hicks|
|Faculty||76.72 (on FTE basis)|
|Student to teacher ratio||12.66|
|Athletics conference||5A East (2012–14)|
|Team name||Forrest City Mustangs|
|USNWR ranking||Unranked (2012)|
|Federal funding||Title I|
Forrest City High School is a comprehensive public high school in Forrest City, Arkansas, United States. It is the sole high school administered by the Forrest City School District and its main feeder school is Forrest City Junior High School.
Serving students in grades nine through twelve in this St. Francis County community since 1892, an earlier building on Rosser Street built in 1915, known as Old Central, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1992.
Forrest City High School
|Nearest city||Forrest City, Arkansas|
|Area||less than one acre|
|Architectural style||Classical Revival|
|NRHP reference #||92001341|
|Added to NRHP||October 8, 1992|
Forrest City High School is accredited as a 1924 charter member of AdvancED (formerly North Central Association). The assumed course of study follows the Smart Core curriculum established by the Arkansas Department of Education (ADE).
Students engage in regular and Advanced Placement (AP) coursework and exams. FCHS is a member of the Arkansas Advanced Initiative for Math and Science (AAIMS) designed to improve scores on AP exams.
The Forrest City High School mascot is the Mustang horse with the school colors as Royal blue and white. The Forrest City Mustangs compete in the 5A East Conference administered by the Arkansas Activities Association (AAA).
The 5A East Conference (2012–14) consists of the following schools:
- Forrest City
- Greene County Tech
The Mustangs have won several state championships including:
- Golf: The boys golf team are 2-time state golf champions (1969, 1973).
- Basketball: The Mustangs boys basketball team won its first state championship in 2014 and another in 2016.
- Track and field: The boys track teams are 6-time state track and field champions; winning three consecutive state titles in 1974, 1975 and 1976, followed by two consecutive track banners in 2006 and 2007 again in 2016.
- Don Kessinger (1960) - 6x Major League Baseball All-Star player; manager of Chicago White Sox in 1979; high school All-American and NFHS National High School Hall of Fame inductee
- Cara McCollum (2010) - Miss New Jersey 2013; news anchor.
- Jason Jones (2003) - professional football player.
- Jimmy Rogers - football player.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Forrest City School District". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for Forrest City High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- "Accreditation Profile, Forrest City High School". AdvancED. Retrieved Aug 22, 2012.
- "FCSD Designated as AAIMS School" (PDF). Mustang Times, Volume 12, Issue 2, September 2011. Retrieved August 22, 2012.