|Born: September 15, 1997|
Alamo Heights, Texas
Whitley attended Alamo Heights High School in San Antonio, Texas. In the summer prior to his senior year he was a member of the 18U National Team that won the World Cup. Whitley threw a no-hitter with 14 strikeouts in a game during his senior year.
The Houston Astros selected Whitley in the first round, with the 17th overall selection, in the 2016 Major League Baseball draft. He was committed to Florida State University to play college baseball, but instead decided to sign with the Astros. He was assigned on July 13, 2016 to the Gulf Coast Astros of the Rookie-level Gulf Coast League, and was later promoted to the Greeneville Astros of the Rookie-level Appalachian League. In 18 2⁄3 innings pitched between both teams, he posted a 1-2 record and a 4.82 earned run average (ERA).
Whitley began the 2017 season with the Quad Cities River Bandits of the Class A Midwest League and received promotions to the Buies Creek Astros of the Class A-Advanced Carolina League in July, and to the Corpus Christi Hooks of the Class AA Texas League in August. In 23 total games (18 starts) between the three teams, he pitched to a combined 5-4 record and 2.83 ERA with 143 strikeouts in 92 1⁄3 innings pitched.
On February 21, 2018, Whitley was suspended 50 games for violating MLB's drug prevention and treatment program. The Astros invited Whitley to spring training in 2019, and he began the season with the Round Rock Express of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League.
- Campbell, David (June 8, 2016). "College Station to face one of state's best pitchers in Whitley". The Bryan-College Station Eagle. Retrieved April 15, 2019.
- Champ, Mark (May 14, 2016). "No-hit loss to Alamo Heights ends McCallum's season". Austin American-Statesman. Retrieved April 15, 2019.
- Davis, Danny. "Georgetown takes its shot at dealing Alamo Heights ace a..." Austin American-Statesman. Retrieved April 15, 2019.
- Staff, By Kevin Lyttle – American-Statesman. "Forrest Whitley, pitching in Class 5A semis, could be Astros'..."
- "Alamo Heights' Whitley remains calm in busy time".
- "Gulf Coast League Transactions". MiLB.com. Retrieved July 14, 2016.
- "Whitley fans career-high 10 for Buies Creek". MiLB.com. Retrieved April 15, 2019.
- "Astros promote Whitley, Perez to Hooks". MiLB.com. Retrieved April 15, 2019.
- "Forrest Whitley Stats, Highlights, Bio - MiLB.com Stats - The Official Site of Minor League Baseball". MiLB.com. Retrieved November 17, 2017.
- "Astros' top prospect Forrest Whitley suspended for drug violation". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Astros Forrest Whitley:Receives spring training invite". Rotowire Staff. Retrieved December 15, 2018.
- "Forrest Whitley may become an Astro sooner than later". kvue.com. April 10, 2019. Retrieved April 15, 2019.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
|This biographical article relating to an American baseball pitcher born in the 1990s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|