Forsinard railway station
|Scottish Gaelic: Fors An-Àird|
Looking south towards Kinbrace
|Managed by||Abellio ScotRail|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Sutherland and Caithness Railway|
|Post-grouping||London, Midland and Scottish Railway|
|28 July 1874||Opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Forsinard from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
The Sutherland and Caithness Railway was authorised in 1871, and the single-track line, which connected Helmsdale with Wick and Thurso, opened on 28 July 1874. One of the original stations was that at Forsinard.
From 1 January 1923 the station was owned by the London Midland and Scottish Railway. In September 1925, it was recorded as being 243 miles 34 chains (391.8 km) from Perth, measured via Carrbridge and Inverness station. The station is 125 miles 69 chains (202.6 km) from Inverness, and has a passing loop 21 chains (420 m) long, flanked by two platforms. Platform 1 on the up (southbound) line can accommodate trains having four coaches, but platform 2 on the down (northbound) line can only hold three.
- Brailsford, Martyn, ed. (December 2017) . "Gaelic/English Station Index". Railway Track Diagrams 1: Scotland & Isle of Man (6th ed.). Frome: Trackmaps. ISBN 978-0-9549866-9-8.
- Vallance, H.A.; Clinker, C.R.; Lambert, Anthony J. (1985) . The Highland Railway (4th ed.). Newton Abbot: David & Charles. p. 37. ISBN 0-946537-24-0.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. p. 99. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- "The Sunderland and Caithness Railway". The Scotsman. British Newspaper Archive. 27 July 1874. Retrieved 14 August 2016 – via British Newspaper Archive.
- Vallance, Clinker & Lambert 1985, p. 183
- Brailsford 2017, map 20D.
- "Forsinard Flows".
- Table 239 National Rail timetable, May 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Forsinard railway station.|
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Far North Line
|This Scotland railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|